Poof, disappearing into thin air

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I was perched on top of a ridge looking down into a saddle Sat. morning. About 9:00 i see a flash of antler on the other side of the saddle. I look close and see a deers bakside take two steps. I throw up my binos. I look and look but never see the deer again.

Its not the first time its happened to me. Probably wont be the last. It still amazes me they can seemingly vanish into thin air.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thing is, they all seem to know when season is in. They sit and watch us as we are oblivious. ?

buckpasser

I had a gobbler do me that way once. I could see him on the limb until nearly 9 am. He pitched to me, came head bobbing down the road, went behind the only tree (a huge red oak) and vanished. I already had the safety off. About ten minutes later he gobbled 200 yards down in the bottom below me.

I thought turkeys were supernatural after that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It's one of the things that make them fascinating.

SlipperyHill Mo

Those are Trap Door deer. Very common where I hunt. They not only disapper in the trap doors but they apper from them also. Must have a maze of tunnel below ground. Havemt found a tunnel yet.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I don't like it that deer on my place are clear colored.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Yeah cool hand,
I think he stepped behind a huge poplar, turned and walked away.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
They are all ghosts. Sometimes they let us see them.

912270601mod.jpg

Bullochcountyhunter

I've had so many deer appear and disappear into thin air over the years. I often think I'm going blind....or crazy...or maybe both. Last night is a prime example, had one come in behind me. Turned and went to falling acorns....without ever being seen. I gave him a few and grunted, got a grunt in return and here he comes....withing 50 yards...never seen him. We repeated that dance three more times before I absolutely couldn't see without a light.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Years ago I had a big spike suddenly appear directly below my climber. He was sniffing the tree and ground. I was young and was gonna chute him once he moved out a bit. He took three steps and went behind a big pine and walked away keeping the pine between me and him. Never had a shot. Poof - he GON.

Mark K

Banned
Don’t notice it much here with deer, but turkeys have been known to vanish even with me watching them. I blink and they’re gone!!
Deer and turkeys in the Midwest live underground so I wouldn’t call in vanishing or disappearing. They just know where the tunnels are and I don’t. Except out there they appear more than disappear. One minute your looking across the prairie and nothing. Turn your head then look back and there’s 2944737393 deer and 12625227 turkeys where there was just nothing a mere nano second before!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
There has been a MASTER BUCK that has lived in my hunting areas for the past 40 PLUS years now. He apparently had lots and lots of crafty relatives too !!!!!

HIS NAME IS HOUDINI AND THERE HAVE BEEN 46 DESCENDANTS OF THE ORIGINAL HOUDINI BUCK BECAUSE THAT IS ABOUT HOW MANY TIMES THAT BUCKS WERE VISIBLE TO ME AND.....POOF, THEY JUST SEEM TO DISAPPEAR RIGHT INTO THIN AIR, NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN DURING THAT PARTICULAR HUNTING SEASON !!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

T- CAM # 1 IS-W-1            6-29-19 227.JPG
PLEASE CLICK ON THIS PHOTO SO YOU CAN SEE IT FULL SCREEN FOR BETTER DETAILS !!!

IT IS REALLY HARD TO BELIEVE THAT IN THE ABOVE PHOTO, A HUGE BUCK WAS STANDING RIGHT THERE AND THEN POOF, THIS WAS ALL THAT WAS LEFT OF HIM AS HE DISAPPEARED INTO "THIN AIR", NEVER TO BE SEEN AGAIN !!!!! :hair::hair::hair:

IT IS ALSO PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO BELIEVE THAT A HUGE MATURE 8-POINT BUCK CAN ACTUALLY HIDE BEHIND ONE SMALL CLUMP OF BROOM-SAGE !!!!!!! :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

PS: APPARENTLY THE DESCENDANTS OF THIS BUCK HAVE MIGRATED ALL ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST AND ARE STILL LAUGHING AT ALL OF US DUMBFOUNDED HUNTERS !!!! :pop::pop::pop:

Last edited:

rugerfan

Had 4 deer walking down a trail coming towards me yesterday morning, they went behind a couple of big pines, they never came out the other side of those pines. I glassed with my binos for about 15 minutes waiting for them to come out, and nothing. Where did they go? Just gone.

Then I had 2 other does moving quietly through some thick brush that appeared like ghosts, never came out into the openings.

Watched a decent six point, towards mid morning, was slowly moving towards a shooting lane, as I pulled up to put the scope on him, out of know where I here a deer blow, next thing I know there are tails everywhere and deer scattering. I had no idea I had half a dozen deer around me at one time. I have never seen that on National Forest Land before.

At least I got to see a some deer. Better luck next time out.

Mason Jar

Ain't it amazing how they can just disappear, that's another reason why I love to hunt.