Pool question

Artfuldodger

Did a little googling on this. Seems if your pump is running on single phase, up to 240v, and on a 20 amp or less breaker, it is supposed to be on a GFCI:

You could infer from this that a three phase motor is not required to be on a GFCI. There is some language about amperage of motor windings, which is over my head, but appears that also if the 3-phase circuit is on a greater than 20 amp breaker, no GFCI is needed.

https://www.ecmag.com/section/codes-standards/necessary-or-not-gfci-protection-swimming-pool-motors

If it's a home more than likely not 3-phase. While it is "suppose" to be on a GFCI, the consensus is some outside things just don't like them. They do their job too well, tripping at the slightest amount of a ground caused by moisture.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We must have solved his problem

TJay

Hey guys I'm sorry for the long long delay but we moved into our new home in mid July and today we are just now getting a land line and internet service. My mobile is with ATT and we have barely enough signal to call out. If we're lucky. Anyway, Yes! We got the pool issue resolved. We weren't living here yet and I wasn't here when the electrician came out but I'm pretty sure it had to do with the breaker. We were able to enjoy the pool for the back half of summer. Now getting a pool permit from Cherokee county, THAT was a colossal pain. The nanny state on full display. Probably worthy of it's own thread. Thanks for all the replies and it's good to be back.

Calagret

Hello. We recently built swimming pool at home and I want to ask you for some tips about its cleaning. What devices do you use? Can you share something useful? I read several articles with guides like how to remove algae in a pool and I saw that almost all people use special cleaners and filters. Is it good idea to invest in such equipment?

Last edited:

TJay

Hello. We recently built swimming pool at home and I want to ask you for some tips about its cleaning. What devices do you use? Can you share something useful?
We have a gunnite salt water pool with a robotic sweeper that runs off of the pump. As far as cleaning I just keep the skimmers cleaned out and sweep/brush it about once a week and that's about all we do. If you have trees nearby you might consider getting a cover at some point. Our first year we didn't have a cover and I spent a considerable amount of time cleaning leaves out of the pool. That being said we have a lot of trees in the vicinity of the pool. One winter of doing that and the cover seemed like a bargain.