Poorest Counties in Georgia

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
I reckon the income of the owners of houses on Oconee weren't counted since a lot of them are second homes and their primary residences aren't in Hancock??That would for sure turn the tables on that study in a big hurry.

Good observation.

I bet that's one reason that Quitman County didn't make it either, because alot of folks with money have retired there and count it as home.

I know that Clay County has a lot of "vacation" homes, too, but there are a lot of poor people, retirees, and home-grown folks, too. I'm still trying to figure out why Stewart didn't make it, too.

Sue

hookedonbass

I reckon the income of the owners of houses on Oconee weren't counted since a lot of them are second homes and their primary residences aren't in Hancock??

That would for sure turn the tables on that study in a big hurry.

I know what you are saying, but Lake Oconee is not in Hancock County. Perhaps you were referring to Lake Sinclair which does border the northwest portion of Hancock. These houses are nothing like the ones on Lake Oconee although there are some nice places. A lot of these houses now have full time residents. I tend to believe that these houses were counted as part of the study. Have you seen the rest of Hancock County? There are many parts of Sparta that are pitiful. Drive through Sparta on Hwy. 22 (the main drag through town) and its hard to believe that people actually inhabit some of the houses you see along that stretch. What's really sad is most (not all) of the people that live there (Sparta) don't care about it being any better. My Dad's family is from there and we hunt there on family land. I spent the majority of my childhood running around in Hancock County/ Sparta and still spend a fair amount of time there during hunting season being that I am only 30 minutes away. The education system is terrible at best. The county and city government are as corrupt as any you will find in the country. It truly is a sad state of affairs there and is quite depressing to be honest with you. You can ride through town on a weekday and see tons of people walking the streets with nothing to do, the majority of these people are working age people who are either too sorry to work or can't find anything to do. If not for some of the big landowners who are basically stuck there and the residents who live on Lake Sinclair, I think you might see Hancock farther up the list. By the way, I mean no disrespect to any of you who may live in Hancock. It's like a second home to me. There are a lot of good people there and I have several friends who still live there.

crow

Marlin 444,

Sounds as if you may live near Holiday Shores. Those are the only condos I know of going up in Hancock. But, aren't those over 300K?

I have a home on Lakecrest.

crow