Poppers

oldguy

BLOOP, BLOOP, BLOOP...
Get two or three in different colors and go to chunking. Won't be long before the fish tell you which one is the right one. Then you'll have your favorite and some back ups.

Jimmy Harris

One of my favorites for Lanier is a Flat Fred. This goofy looking thing does nothing to instill confidence in it until you start fishing it. Spots, in particular, can't stay off it but stripers will hit it also.Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 4.02.15 PM.png

shawn dooley

I am new to this type of fishing .I was looking at rods.today and am confused about the term rod.weight can someone please explain the meaning

gunnurse

The lower the number, the “lighter” the rod weight and lighter the action. A 3-4 weight rod is common to trout and pan fishing. A 5-6 weight favored for larger trout waters and panfish, as well. A 7-8 rod better for bass. The weights go on up.

Along with weight, goes action of the rod. Fast, medium, etc. this is determined by the “limberness” of the rod and how far down the rod towards the handle, or butt it goes. A good all around bass rod would be an 8-weight medium action. But, that’s just me. Anyone else want to comment on this?

oldguy

Get your hands on a copy of LL Bean Fly Fishing for Bass by Dave Whitlock. It will answer all of your questions, shorten the learning curve by a mile, and give you some ideas you may never have thought of. Plus the Fly Fishing Show is coming to Atlanta the first of February. There will be lots of gear, demos and seminars. Great learning opportunity.
You asked about poppers but don't forget the woolyl buggers. Different sizes and any color, as long it's black, will work. Don't need special line (sinking tip, full sinking, etc.) or leader to fish them either. Just bite off the popper and tie on the WB and CATCH FISH!

Anvil Head

My go-to and most consistently productive bass popper has always been a bug eyed froggy with the traditional green leopard color scheme, yellow belly and yellow feathers. Best part with the big poppers, when wore near completely out - got some hackle left, they still work well for "poor man's tarpon" so don't bench them.

My St.Croix 8wt seems to be favored rod for bass, stripers, and reds (it's the one that always winds up in hand anyway).
Don't pass up the old school fiberglass rods altogether, they seem to handle the bigger heavier wind resistant poppers really well. I go back to my old Pfluegers fairly regular (just 'cause what I grew up on).