Post sets

Mark K

Banned
Ok, I’m bored and catches are really slow right now.
Just wondering if I’m the only one that looks for logs/stumps/rocks that they think would work as a post set or backing for a set?
Might sound crazy but after we burn I collect what I think would be good and start adding urine and put them in the dog runs next to the kennels. (They always get a lot of attention, lol)
After a couple of weeks I’ll take them and set them out at various places I plan on making a set.
I have one particular “stump” that produced numerous critters in 3 different locations.
Am I the only crazy one or anyone else do this?

blt152

The bed of my truck has a collection of mini logs that I use plus a couple big white quartz rocks. I've been trying a gelatinous coyote urine so I have been boring these logs with a spade bit and filling the holes with gelatinous urine and gland lure. Seems to last better than spraying urine on it. Just pulled my traps today as upcoming obligations will prevent me from checking them as I should. Good luck to all.

Mark K

Banned
Waiting on the last logger to leave Tuesday and will be throwing the rest in the ground for the heck of it. I enjoy no sleep and sweating my tail off, lol.
I can tell you this, after a couple weeks of a dozen bird dogs peeing on the logs, not much urine is needed during the summer months. Those things smell in the afternoons just driving by them.

blt152

Waiting on the last logger to leave Tuesday and will be throwing the rest in the ground for the heck of it. I enjoy no sleep and sweating my tail off, lol.
I can tell you this, after a couple weeks of a dozen bird dogs peeing on the logs, not much urine is needed during the summer months. Those things smell in the afternoons just driving by them.
I can imagine. I've found scent posts in the woods that fox were using and if the wind was right you could smell them before you saw them.

oldguy

Stopped at a station in a crossroads town to gas up. Not self-serve. The attendant looked in the back of my truck, various bones of assorted sizes, turtle shells, sticks and burnt stubs, all emanating the wonderful aroma of GH II and 'yote/cat urine and asked ,"What's all this stuff?" I told him I was trapping and his next question was "Do you do this full-time?" I told him no just part time - he said "Well it's a stinking something to do part time!" Gotta' love it.

Philbow

I collect old deer/cow skulls, pelvic girdles, vertebra, femurs, etc.. I think the white color shows up better and triggers curiosity. I think anything that stands out invites them to check it out.

deermaster13

Yes we use pelvic bones, skulls, sticks and rock backings as well. We save all the bones, sticks etc.. and they just hold that scent even after been outside for awhile. We have a big pile it gets left in after the season.