posting a better queastion, starting fly fishing?

okay, I want a setup to fish the toccoa and the hootch, so some big water by n. ga measures i guess. Ive been fishing w/ a fly rod for years, but its only 7'6", and ive only used salmon eggs,worms, crickets. i want to to the real deal this year. i know genrally how to set my reel up w/ backing, leader, and tippet, but im lost when it comes to flies, what are some good ones to buy? my rod is to small to fish the toccoa and hootch, so what size rod and reel? Ihave three forks waders and vest. . so what type flies should i buy for the spring and summer months and whats a good rod and reel for those rivers?.....thanks

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I use a 6/7 weight in the Hooch. You can go smaller.
Flies I use in spring EHC(elk hair caddis),Wooly Buggers,Adams,Hares Ears and Pheasant Tail Nymphs.

PM sent

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Ok, if your going bigger water, teh same applies as the others said in your prevoius thread. I would get a 9 foot rod in 5 or 6 weight. I prefer 6 so I can fish bigger flies a little easier in the winter months. A floating weight forward line is generally the good choise for most fishing. Cabelas offers a great deal on a TFO with a reel and line for around $150. I you want a nicer rod there are many available. Depending on where you live, The Fly Box in Kennesaw, The Fish Hawk in Atlanta, or The Orvis Store up near Johns Creek, all have rods you can cast and see the differenc.

In the spring and summer on the Toccoa, ( I don't fish the Hooch around ATL, someone else can better help you) it is good to have: Nymphs: BH Pheasant tail, Hares ear, brassie, and midge larvae in sizes #16-20 Dries: BWO's, Adams, Caddis, and a few Royal Wulffs in #16-20. I like to have some Stimulator Dries or hopper patterns in #12-14 and fish them on top with a dropper nymph underneath. I would also have some wooly buggers and y2ks for searching for fish and slow days. Look back through some of the earlier threads on this forum and you will see the same questions you are asking, and much input from some of the other guys as well. GOOD LUCK and feel free to PM me if you have other questions. I'm sure several of the other guys feel the same. Welcome to the FFF!

allenww

Yes - what Bitterroot said.

I can no longer tie an 18 Adams - but it is easy to tie an 18 Adams emerger and they are a staple for me. At that size, an Adams parachute tied with a yellow (or "straw") body is also a good spring emerger. EH Caddis are good floaters, as well.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
so when would u use a dry fly or not?

It depends. Trout are both oportunistic predators, and methodically selective feeders. The right fly and the right presentation can draw a little stocker or the biggest brute in the river. If there is surface activity, matching the hatching insect is pretty important, most of the time. However, keeping in mind that about 80-90 % of a trouts diet, is subsurface, then the nymphs play a significant role in feeding, as well as the other targets of oportunity. If you think you see flies coming off the water, or drifting by, try and grab one and just see what you've got. You don't have to be able to identify it's exact spieces in latin, just be able to imitate as best as you can with the flies in your box. I find that more important than anything is the size of the fly, more so than the color. Now if they are taking a Sulfur mayfly and you send out a Dark Hendrickson the same size, I would'nt expect a strike even though it could always happen. Get close, make a good cast, in the "fishy" part of the water and get ready. I tie many of my parachute flies with a black post, rather than white or yellow. I find that I can see it better on the mirror surface of water in fading light. The lighter colors leave my vision too soon with the evening glare.

Go to the Troutnut.com and check out some of the mayflies, you will find many similarities. Its a great website to learn the basics of etomology as well. Just don't get to bored listening to the scientific nimrods on there. They know what they are talking about, but it is NOT neccessary to fly fish and have fun.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Got to try the "Black para Post" thing. I never would have thought of it. I always tie a hi-vis post and still have trouble seeing it. See,you can learn something new every day on this forum!:cool:

Latest posts