Poulan

ryanh487

Check the chain tension, mine doesn't like it if it's too tight. If you used it on pine, clean out the sawdust and sap as well.

Heathern

BANNED
Poulan's are fine for occasional homeowner use. But Echo's are even better for that. I sold my old Stihl Farm Boss 290 (their low-end consumer grade saw) when it started giving me problems and I had trouble finding parts. Then I got an Echo and never looked back. That thing has taken down several huge sweetgums in my yard, and runs like a scalded cat.

To help with carb issues, always do these 3 things:

1) Run ethanol-free gas ONLY.
2) Add Stabil, or better yet, Star Tron to that gas for extra insurance.
3) If you aren't using your saw frequently, when you're done cutting, always pour the remaining gas out of the tank and back into your can, then fire it back up and run it until it quits, getting rid all of the gas in the tank and lines that it can.

I always do these 3 things with all of my small engines, and never have any fuel-related problems.

7Mag Hunter

I bought a Poulan (37cc?) at a yard sale for $20.00...14" bar and had good compression...put new fuel lines, and filter and new plug and it has been a very good saw...I have 4 saws, Stihl, Poulan, Husky and a monster of a MCculloch (70 cc) and the Poulan is my 2nd favorite saw...Cranks on 2-3 pull and cuts like a banshee ( if i keep it sharp)...Folks sometimes bash Poulan but with proper maint, imo it is a very good saw.....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have one Poulan that I've had for years, and it runs great and cuts fast as a Husky. It's a crapshoot with them, though. Some are really good saws, some are bigtime lemons. None of them will stand up to everyday use like a Stihl or Husky commercial grade, but if you get a good one, it's plenty good for occasional homeowner use. Much better for the money than the old Homelites or McCullouchs. Sounds like probably some simple issue with yours as new as it is.

Latest posts