PRAIRIE DOG HUNT

Dean4

I am thinking about going out west next year for 2 or 3 days of prairie dog hunting. I am retired Navy and 70 years old so just plan to find access to some good prairie dog hunting in advance and set up bench to spent the days trying to pick those little varmints off. Any interest?

NMH5050

I did it in S Dakota a few years back. It was fun and we mixed in some turkey hunting. Shot two nice birds and who knows how many dogs. I would bring a fast centerfire and a 17 or a 22 mag to alternate with. It did get hot and windy and also had a lot of slow periods. I would recommend find an outfitter if you are going to go all the way out there so they can also move you to different spots if the dogs get slow. Good Luck

Dean4

I did it in S Dakota a few years back. It was fun and we mixed in some turkey hunting. Shot two nice birds and who knows how many dogs. I would bring a fast centerfire and a 17 or a 22 mag to alternate with. It did get hot and windy and also had a lot of slow periods. I would recommend find an outfitter if you are going to go all the way out there so they can also move you to different spots if the dogs get slow. Good Luck
Sorry to be this late answering but have had a sick spouse. Thank you for the info. I will check out the outfitters. Have several guns to alternate.

chase870

Possum Sox
Flicker Tail Gophers are just as fun. I recommend 220Swift or 22-250. Go big and fast or don't go

Ruger15

Perkins outfitters in southeastern Montana. We deer hunt with them every year and sling plenty of lead at those pesky things in the down time. Tons and tons of dogs out there. Think it’s something like $100 a day

Michael F Sights

Perkins outfitters in southeastern Montana. We deer hunt with them every year and sling plenty of lead at those pesky things in the down time. Tons and tons of dogs out there. Think it’s something like $100 a day

I deer hunted w/ Perkins last fall & they had a Plague that reduced the numbers, but Bill is a honest man & will tell you if there are enough to hunt.

acurasquirrel

I went on a paid trip to SD in 2014 and it wasn’t bad. The last two years I’ve been out to Wyoming for Antelope and mule deer. During those trips I’ve had no problem shooting plenty of pdogs on public land. OnX maps even has a prairie dog town layer for $9.99 a year.

Ruger15

I deer hunted w/ Perkins last fall & they had a Plague that reduced the numbers, but Bill is a honest man & will tell you if there are enough to hunt.
What side of the river did you hunt this past year? We always stay in the smaller camp across the river from the main camp. I love it out there and look forward to that trip every year.

Mac

Looking at WY for goat and deer in 2019, following the thread.