Pre-fabed Cabins

georgiarebel6165

Wife and I have reached that point where we are almost empty nesters and ready to consider downsizing. Have family property to settle down on and have considered a smaller pre-fabed cabin. Any recommendation on style or company that makes them?

Grub Master

Conner Construction in Ellijay

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
What part of Ga are you building in. It may be just as cost effective to stick build.

rip18

We recently put a 12x32 shed/cabin on some property & did the finish work ourselves - about half way through, I regretted not building stick-built from the ground up - might have been a tad more expensive, but it'd be like I wanted it from the beginning.

Triple C

Went thru the same process 6 years ago when I bought property. Looked at many options. A friend recommended a pole barn that could be finished as we wanted. Decided on that route and glad I did. Much less cost than what I was quoted on stick built cabin and we finished much of the interior ourselves. No issues of any type in 6 years.
IMG_4196.jpg

cr00241

Went thru the same process 6 years ago when I bought property. Looked at many options. A friend recommended a pole barn that could be finished as we wanted. Decided on that route and glad I did. Much less cost than what I was quoted on stick built cabin and we finished much of the interior ourselves. No issues of any type in 6 years.
View attachment 893139

Triple C, that is what I have been researching lately for my land. I have been looking at Morton Homes. My land is in Wilkes, did a local contractor build yours?

1gr8bldr

The kits that I have seen only covered the logs. Usually the buyer is upset to find out that the kit only contained 50% of what was needed. All interior walls and entire roof system was not figured in the price. It may be different with some manufacturers. Most cases it cost more to build a log cabin kit than if you stick built. And that is fine if you know it up front and you are willing to pay for the look. I say this because I have seen several who thought that it was cheaper. And don't forget the HVAC, plumbing, etc.

Triple C

Triple C, that is what I have been researching lately for my land. I have been looking at Morton Homes. My land is in Wilkes, did a local contractor build yours?

I used National Barn Company out of Portland, TN. www.nationalbarn.com Morton has a great reputation. I just liked the folks I dealt with there and their price was the best I could find from one of the big firms. A buddy of mine is using Morton to construct a pole barn in the next couple of months. I'm sure there are local contractors that would do the same. They sent a crew down and had my structure, actually 2 structures, completed in 4 days. Pretty amazing to watch those guys work that do it every day. They definitely have a system that wastes no time.

Had it erected in April, 2011 and included all doors, windows and garage door for shop. We spent the rest of spring and summer finishing the interior. Turned out really nice. 2 bedroom / 1 bath with large den/kitchen and nice shop in the back. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some of the interior pics.

Jeffriesw

I used National Barn Company out of Portland, TN. www.nationalbarn.com Morton has a great reputation. I just liked the folks I dealt with there and their price was the best I could find from one of the big firms. A buddy of mine is using Morton to construct a pole barn in the next couple of months. I'm sure there are local contractors that would do the same. They sent a crew down and had my structure, actually 2 structures, completed in 4 days. Pretty amazing to watch those guys work that do it every day. They definitely have a system that wastes no time.

Had it erected in April, 2011 and included all doors, windows and garage door for shop. We spent the rest of spring and summer finishing the interior. Turned out really nice. 2 bedroom / 1 bath with large den/kitchen and nice shop in the back. Shoot me a PM and I'll send you some of the interior pics.

4 Days? Wow :eek:

Did that include all of the plumbing and such, below the slab?

My wife and I are now empty nesters with all the kids grown and gone and we are thinking about building a smaller place, maybe 2 bedroom/2 bath. I never thought of a pole barn house, but this sure seems like it could be cost effective.

I am going to send you a PM also if that is ok. I would love to see more pictures and get more information if possible.

Bill J.

Triple C

4 Days? Wow :eek:

Did that include all of the plumbing and such, below the slab?

My wife and I are now empty nesters with all the kids grown and gone and we are thinking about building a smaller place, maybe 2 bedroom/2 bath. I never thought of a pole barn house, but this sure seems like it could be cost effective.

I am going to send you a PM also if that is ok. I would love to see more pictures and get more information if possible.

Bill J.

Did not include plumbing or slab. Plumbing was laid out after building was erected and slab was then poured inside building. Bottom band is a 2x6. Doors are set at the height of the 2x6. When poured, the floor is level with doors. Send me your email address via PM and I will send you pics of build out inside.

Capt Quirk

I have a 12x32 "Deluxe Lofted Cabin", which is in all reality, a rent a shed. It came as a shell, that we are working on finishing out. I know that there is a tiny house movement going on right now, but really give it a lot of thought. It sounds easy, but it will drive you nuts. Whichever way you decide to go, make sure you give yourselves a little extra room.

Mtn lover

Hi,
I've been a licensed commercial general in north GA for 32 years.Appalachian Design and Development Inc. We are now starting sister company Steel Green Homes. Neither website is finished or flashy. I have some neat designs that are energy efficient,super low maintenance, practical and attractive . Steel won't burn rot and the bugs can't touch it. I didn't intend on advertising here but do a lot of design work and have many references. If I can help in any (un-paid) way please feel comfortable in contacting me.
Jeff T. Henke
send a pm