• Thick Cover

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Moderate cover

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Fields or power lines

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters

HughW2

I would like to poll the forum on your preferences for where you build or situate your stands during season.
It goes with out saying stands should be within sight of travel or feeding areas with attention paid to typical wind directions.
Do you prefer to hunt thick cover or wide open areas like fields or power lines?
I am sure there is heavy attention paid to stage of rut and whether bucks are traveling / chasing.
Thanks for input.
Hugh

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I prefer edges and all the above. I don’t like sitting in a pine forest with sweet gum undergrowth. Just depends but solid pines just don’t interest me long enough. Where I want to hunt and where I can drag them out from is often two different places. Gonna learn packing one out sooner or later.

Jim Boyd

Really, more poll choices are needed.

My hunts are archery so this will vary from the norm a bit but my very best sites are fence / ditch crossings, timber funnels, outside corners of ag fields and trail junctions.

To me, these factors are far more important than the forest type.

I mentioned my hunts are archery but had someone hunted my same spots this year with a gun, they would have had a banner year.

Good luck!

misterpink

Really, more poll choices are needed.

My hunts are archery so this will vary from the norm a bit but my very best sites are fence / ditch crossings, timber funnels, outside corners of ag fields and trail junctions.

To me, these factors are far more important than the forest type.

I mentioned my hunts are archery but had someone hunted my same spots this year with a gun, they would have had a banner year.

Good luck!

Shhhh!

CrossCentered

I have seen the most mature bucks in thick cover. But seeing total numbers of deer, was a pipeline for me. So it depends on what I am feeling like, the rut will put the bigguns ANYWHERE

Josh B

I look for pinch points in thick pines and make a shooting lane. I will see deer all day.

Mark K

Banned
Mine are on trails wherever the dominant wind is in my favor, whether it is thick cover or open pines. I always have alternate stand/stands for when the wind does switch up on me.