Prescribed Burning Service

Other than the Georgia Forestry Commission, is there anyone else that offers controlled burn services? I’ve never done one and would like to observe it done before I try myself. Willing to pay reasonable rate. Property is in Taliaferro County.

nmurph

Find a forester with the appropriate insurance. I have a friend that does it but I doubt he would go that far north.

buckpasser

GFC has a list of rx burners and also know who is good in your area based on the permits they issue. As was mentioned, check out their insurance (which GFC doesn’t have at all), after you find a burner.

GFC would be a better bet for you learning to burn if you use them for a burn assist. It’s fairly simple and like flying an ultralight aircraft - pick your day wisely!

buckpasser

All the liability is yours with GFC. Nothing usually happens with them there. However, they have made a few booboos in the past.

Why not just use the GFC? They are by far cheaper than any consultant you will use.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
We paid the forester that manages one of our leases. He's insured and he's managing the timber and the lease. It was a no brainer for us. If the GFC burns down the woods,your responsible for damages

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I've been talking to the GFC Forester for area in Greene Co about burning my land and what he told me is this.

For NO FEE they will come in with equipment, set up fire breaks and monitor/control the burn until such time as they are satisfied that it is no longer a danger. What they WON'T do is actually START the fire. That apparently is where the liability is. Seems a little screwy to me that THEY do all the work to supposedly monitor and CONTROL what THEY told someone else to start but that is what it is and if the private Forester is willing to accept that risk for a nominal fee so be it.

I'll pay him to accept that risk if GFC is going to do the rest for nothing more than tax dollars already paid.

buckpasser

I've been talking to the GFC Forester for area in Greene Co about burning my land and what he told me is this.

For NO FEE they will come in with equipment, set up fire breaks and monitor/control the burn until such time as they are satisfied that it is no longer a danger. What they WON'T do is actually START the fire. That apparently is where the liability is. Seems a little screwy to me that THEY do all the work to supposedly monitor and CONTROL what THEY told someone else to start but that is what it is and if the private Forester is willing to accept that risk for a nominal fee so be it.

I'll pay him to accept that risk if GFC is going to do the rest for nothing more than tax dollars already paid.

He told you wrong. They charge per man and piece of equipment for the burn and per hour while they are using said equipment. It won’t be a lot of money, but “no fee” is incorrect. What he did tell you right was that you have to initiate the fire. That is to further protect them in court if the burn goes horribly out of control. The thing to remember about GFC is that most likely that Forester and every Ranger that you would encounter on your property would have less than two years with the agency. They are basically a CDL driver training conduit these days for Rangers and a low paid continuing education for a Forester. Everyone should be aware that this is not the GFC of 30 years ago.

Wayne D Davis

I've witnessed a few burns over the years.... last one was up close and personal during early Turkey season. I watched 5 GFCs on ATV'S start, and monitor the burn.... I saw how they already had fire breaks in place cut all the way to creeks for water if need. These same guys travel the south east doing this. My cuz use to be with gfc but his new title is Wildlife biologist with DNR. He was one of the 5 doing the burn. Those guys were pros at it

Mark K

Banned
It’s cheaper to the have the GFC come in and cut all our breaks than us using our own equipment to do it. They use tracked equipment that can go just about anywhere.
As far as burning, it depends on what you’re burning and what you want to accomplish. If your just wanting a burn, pick whatever wind is right for the area you want to burn and set against the wind.
If you’re wanting a hot burn then set against the wind to get you some insurance on your breaks, then ride through lighting with the wind to get rid of what you want with the hot burn. You can keep riding through upwind until you get that area burned.
I will tell you it’s not a light and go. We normally light around 1000 or so after the dew has burned off and don’t light anymore past 1300-1400. You’ll want a bright sunny day and always call in to get your permit. Always have a couple folks on 4 wheelers with shovels available and a tractor with a harrow to cut a new break if things go South.
I love burn season (best time to find sheds).

hoytslanger87

He told you wrong. They charge per man and piece of equipment for the burn and per hour while they are using said equipment. It won’t be a lot of money, but “no fee” is incorrect. What he did tell you right was that you have to initiate the fire. That is to further protect them in court if the burn goes horribly out of control. The thing to remember about GFC is that most likely that Forester and every Ranger that you would encounter on your property would have less than two years with the agency. They are basically a CDL driver training conduit these days for Rangers and a low paid continuing education for a Forester. Everyone should be aware that this is not the GFC of 30 years ago.

There are a few bad eggs in every group, but your statement is ridiculous. There are many guys with the GFC that are among the best in the state at what they do.

My wife’s grandfather worked for GA Forestry and taught her dad to burn. He was a pro at it and had quite a bit of land so he burned a lot. I used to help him burn, it was awesome. Hard to describe really. He passed away a couple years ago. I sure do miss him and helping him burn.

OconeeDawg48

Actually, the county forester was correct. There is a Govt grant that will provide for free prescribed burning and firebreak plowing. It's called the Stevens Grant. Any landowner that lives within a 3 mile buffer around a National forest, i.e. the Oconee and Chattahoochee, are eligible for this service. Here's what I found on the internet; Stevens Grant, a prescribed burning incentive program for family forest owners who have land within a 3-miles radius of federal lands including Georgia’s two national forests—the Chattahoochee and Oconee. This program promotes fuel reduction to improve forest health and enhance wildlife habitat. I'm aware of this since I live close to the national forest and obviously Greene county would be included. Hope this clears up any confusion.

fountain

Do/did you work for them?

fountain

With the GFC doing the burn, you as the landowner, will have to be present and have to initiate the burn. You will need to be there for the entirety as well. The fire breaks are typically $75/ hr plus a $60 haul fee. Its $25/ person and mileage on the pickup used to get them there. There will be a burn plan written up for the burn. The main focus when setting up the burn is like this: to accomplish the main objectives of the burn and to manage smoke. They wont burn if the smoke cant be managed they way it needs to be for that particular site and its surroundings. Things can and will happen..with anyone.

I don't believe you will go wrong on the burn with the GFC doing it. We are still unsure of what the OP is looking to brun. I would be sure whoever does the burn has the proper equipment on site for the burn should it get out.

buckpasser

There are a few bad eggs in every group, but your statement is ridiculous. There are many guys with the GFC that are among the best in the state at what they do.

There are only a few experienced guys at GFC these days. They are the best at extinguishing wildfires, because they primarily use fire plows. They are not the best at RX fire, in the RX fire part of the state especially. They are also over booked and not half the agency they once were. I wish my statement was ridiculous, but it’s not.