Pressure washing stucco

Ugahunter2013

I know you have to be careful when pressure washing stucco but i have a light colored stucco (khaki color) that has some red clay stain from water dripping off roof. Has been on there about 2 months. Tried the ZEP generaly pressure washing concentrate today and it took the clay off but still is not clean. Should i try the cleaner that is for driveways or concrete?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if you are trying to get the red stain off...it ain't gonna happen regardless of what cleaner you put on it.

NOYDB

BANNED
Red clay can be nigh on impossible to clean. The stain is into the inside of the stuco. Taking off the outside layer doesn't look good.

greg_n_clayton

Hunt Jigman29 on here down. He is very knowledgeable !!

mmcneil

As you already know don’t put much pressure on the stucco. Try using a 12% sodium hypochlorite mixture. 1/3rd SH to 2/3rd water if that doesn’t work go up to 50/50 mixture. Spray it on with a pump sprayer and let it set for a few minutes before you rinse, but don’t let it dry on the stucco. I’ve never washed a stucco house but that’s a good general house wash mixture. You could add a cleaning surfactant if you have access to any locally.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Muriatic acid and water will get that clay stain off. It may hurt the stucco though. I would test a spot.

How did clay get on the roof? Terra cotta?

Jim Baker

Staff member
As you already know don’t put much pressure on the stucco. Try using a 12% sodium hypochlorite mixture. 1/3rd SH to 2/3rd water if that doesn’t work go up to 50/50 mixture. Spray it on with a pump sprayer and let it set for a few minutes before you rinse, but don’t let it dry on the stucco. I’ve never washed a stucco house but that’s a good general house wash mixture. You could add a cleaning surfactant if you have access to any locally.

Bleach is good for getting rid of mildew and mold on siding. Not sure about stains from red clay on stucco. You can get 6% bleach from Walmart then cut it 50% with water. I always put in a gallon jug of cheap laundry soap as a surfactant. If you use it on a spot it may leave a noticeable discoloration and you will have to bleach the entire house to try to match. You may end up with something worse than you have got.

My question is are you sure it is from red clay. How did red clay get on the roof? Dusty red clay road?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
did he say it was on his roof? I didn't get that. I read it was splattered on his tan stucco from the rain splattering on the ground, and staining the stucco red.

That red Georgia clay, once it is embedded, is a bugger to get off. I don't know of anything that will do away with the stain. It is an iron oxide in the soil that causes it, and really nothing that will make rust go away.

Seal it, paint it, and put gravel/mulch/gutters/whatever around the house to stop the issue.

Hillbilly stalker

I know a good pressure washer will not remove red clay stain from brick or vinyl siding. I would be scared to use it on stucco.

hipster dufus

washed houses for ten trs. was never sble to get that red clay stain off stucco. new construction always had the backsplash from final grading. u really do not need alot of pressure to was a house. drill out a soaping spray head tom make it shoot a stream. mix bleach and cheap liquid laundry soap in a buscket. 1 cup soap tp gal of bleach. wet house down, soap it heavily. wait. rinse. i tried all the expensive washes, jomax was pretty good.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
did he say it was on his roof? I didn't get that. I read it was splattered on his tan stucco from the rain splattering on the ground, and staining the stucco red.

Yep. I believe you are correct. I read it as the red clay stain was in the roof water. He actually has a stain from mud splashing UP on the stucco.

...has some red clay stain from water dripping off roof.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
That red Georgia clay, once it is embedded, is a bugger to get off. I don't know of anything that will do away with the stain.

Muriatic acid and water will take off a red clay stain without breaking a sweat.

It may etch stucco though. It can etch concrete if you are not careful.

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Try some Iron Out.. we use it to wash softball clothes and it gets the job done. Red clay stains out of white ball pants. It smells like what I’d imagine a meth house would smell like but it works.

baddave

water drips off the roof and splashes mud on the stucco wall .happens all the time

NOYDB

BANNED
Stucco is porous. Any stain from red clay you see is into the stucco and is not just on the surface. Nothing you can add to a pressure washer will remove the stain. Anything that will go that deep will leave different marks on the walls.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Stucco is porous. Any stain from red clay you see is into the stucco and is not just on the surface. Nothing you can add to a pressure washer will remove the stain. Anything that will go that deep will leave different marks on the walls.

That would depend on the specific stucco application. My stucco has 3 coats of elastomeric paint on it.

NOYDB

BANNED
That would depend on the specific stucco application. My stucco has 3 coats of elastomeric paint on it.

Yes, if sealed when installed the covering paint can be washed. Most places don't have that. Stucco is not the best choice for GA houses, south of the north GA mountain areas.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
You fellas do understand that stucco is basically the same material as brick mortar don't you? Sand, Portland and water. You can add lime.

Red mud gets on brick water tables(and their mortar) all the time. Any brick mason or pressure washing contractor can get it off.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Stucco is not the best choice for GA houses, south of the north GA mountain areas.

Really? Why? I'm a home builder and I've never heard the Stucco was not the best choice for homes in GA.

I would say brick, stucco, cedar and vinyl are the best choices when it comes to longevity.