Primos Can?

willhunt

I was watching a hunting show last weekend and saw two hugh bucks taken using the Primos bleat can. Both were called in across food plots within shooting range.

Needless to say, I went out and bought one. My question: Have any of you guys used one successfully, and if so, how often do you call. I used mine all this past weekend with no luck...

wh

Mac

I have two.

Never got a reaction, Even when does are in the field, I can't even get them to look at the sound.?????????????

Thunder

Use it during the rut.....it's the sound of a doe in heat looking for a dominant buck. I listened to one once running across a field that sounded like it was being mutilated!! :speechles

bilgerat

Senior
can

:banginghe I had a deer come in behind me saturday evening in a thicket and I hit the bleet can and the deer took off running in the opisite direction!! :banginghe

Jim McRae

It has only worked for me during pre-rut seeking phase and I have yet called in mature buck w/ it. I don't think it scares deer though, but I wouldn't use it if one was close. I did call a small 8pt back to me several times once, apparently having lost the hot doe he was trailing. I think it works at the same time doe estruos scent work, pre-rut and rut thru post rut. I always have mine w/ me.

Jim M.

Jeff Phillips

I used 1 and a grunt tube to call in 2 bucks in Monroe County a couple of weeks ago. Both bucks responded with grunts and came straight to me. I think they work great if a deer is within hearing range.

Michael Lee

I used it while watching a 9 pointer feed a few weeks ago. He never looked up when i used the can. I hit the grunt call one time and he about turned inside out!!

ML

mikel

the can

i have used one the last 2 years.sometimes they work sometimes they dont.i have stopped deer in their tracks and caused them to come to me,and i have used it and watched them walk on off.i did use it this year on two does i shot.i shot one, the other took off so i grabbed it and blew in the bottom.it stopped her like she was on a chain long enough to get the shot.IMO,they do work

tmooney

Jeff Phillips said:
I used 1 and a grunt tube to call in 2 bucks in Monroe County a couple of weeks ago. Both bucks responded with grunts and came straight to me. I think they work great if a deer is within hearing range.
I use them extensively. I have called in a 4 pt 2 years ago on Paulding Forrest. The buck came into the thicket I was hunting pretty quickly, I hit the can a couple times after he past me. He attempted to circle me and check the wind. I dropped out in front of me broadside about thirty yards a complete 360 degrees. He should have been a 6 pt but he had the left side broke off just above the brow tine. Seems to be common for me to kill a deer with only one handle. It's a call that I never go hunting without. The one I use most it the 'Lil Can'.

-Terry

Meriwether Mike

I have had deer come to me on a string when using them and had them ignore them as well. I guess it depends on whether they want company or not. I have had the most success calling in does during bow season.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Never had it work on a buck, but have on does. I like to use it in early bow season. Turn in real fast and it sounds like a fawn in distress. Had does come running many times. Also last year the day after Christmas I had 5 does working on a hill but could never get a shot. I turned the can and it was like they were on a string. The doe in front didn't know what hit her. Like the others I have also had deer flat out ignore it. I had a doe bed down in front of me during bow season. I wanted to see if I could get her up with the can and it was like she was deaf.

bobcat

Called in 1-3pt and one doe oppening weekend of bowseason,no shot on the doe.Called in 2 yearlings the next weekend,and 2 does, they were all looking for the deer making the noise,one of the yearlings bedded down within 20 feet of my stand for 2 hours.Called in a spike the next week.This is the first year I have ever used the can,it seems to work at bringing deer in.I have called more deer in with the can than I have with a grunt call.

SGaither

I guess mine is broke

I bought one of those etrous cans and had a small spike slip in the bottom I was hunting and decided to see how well that can would work. I turned it and he kept going away from me and feeding on red oaks. I turned it again and nothing, I grunted a couple of times and still no response. I turned the can once more and followed with a grunt, still not even a turn of the head and he was probably 60 yards from me. He fed on the red oaks leaving the white oaks alone and walked into a thicket out of sight. This was on October 30th in Monroe County, supposedly pre-rut. I've used both everytime I hunt and have had no success. Oh well, that's just my luck.

sgaither

birddog

9 Point

KILLED A 9 POINT LAST SEASON THAT WAS BEDDED IN A BIG WEED FEILD. HIT THE CAN A COUPLE OF TIMES AND HE STOOD RIGHT UP! NEVER KNOWED HE WAS THERE TILL THEN. (WORKED FOR ME) :bounce:

Sweaty

I have called in at least 3 bucks with it so far this season. I hunted the adult/child hunt last weekend at Johns Mt. and called in what would have blew away the largest one checked in. It was the largest buck I have seen hunting while in GA. (Remember I hunt the northwestern part of the state so there ain't a lot of big boys up here). He was coming around me to wind it before he closed in. I had him at 40 yards broad side in the wide open but pasted because he was in direct line with one of the young boys we carried and was headed straight at the other one. So I said I'll let him have a shot at him since he had never killed a deer. After about another couple of steps the deer freezes - looks up and bolts. I look around me to see what the problem was and the young boy I am hunting with is sitting on the platform of his climber swinging his legs back and forth. He never knew the deer was there. It took him less than 5 minutes to show up after I hit the can. I also called in a nice 8 pointer in bow season with a Primos fawn distress call. He was only the second buck I had ever had come to it.

willhunt

Mixed Results

Thanks for your input, guys. It looks like the can is just like all the other toys we take in the woods.

Sometimes they work...sometimes they don't...and sometimes they do more harm than good.

Evidentally the conditions have to be "right" for them to work. Now, if I can just figure out when a buck thinks they are "right" then, I'll be in business!!!

wh