Prince of Wales black bear hunt

Tombuster

Anyone been on one up there? Got one booked for May 2019 and wanted to get some pointers.

Last edited:

Bruin

I used to live there and guide in unit 3 just north of POW. What specifically are you wanting to know?

Tombuster

Just curious about the average weight of the spring bears knowing they have come out of hibernation.

Also, third week of May, average temps. I’ve been to Alaska numerous times but always interior and in June and August.

Bruin

Weighing bears is not something I’ve ever done nor is it anything that I know of anyone else doing up there. Its rarely practical to haul scales to the bear or haul the bear back to a set of scales. So if I start throwing out numbers it wouldn’t be accurate. In that part of the world we speak in terms of what the bear squares and how big the skull is. The low end shooter will square 6’ 6” and have a 17-18inch skull. A high end shooter will be 7’6” and have about a 20inch skull. You can cheat and stretch the hide but the skull measurement doesn’t lie.

Weather will be about 50 degrees and drizzling rain most of the time.

Tombuster

Weighing bears is not something I’ve ever done nor is it anything that I know of anyone else doing up there. Its rarely practical to haul scales to the bear or haul the bear back to a set of scales. So if I start throwing out numbers it wouldn’t be accurate. In that part of the world we speak in terms of what the bear squares and how big the skull is. The low end shooter will square 6’ 6” and have a 17-18inch skull. A high end shooter will be 7’6” and have about a 20inch skull. You can cheat and stretch the hide but the skull measurement doesn’t lie.

Weather will be about 50 degrees and drizzling rain most of the time.
Yea I know it’s impractical to get weights on them. Was looking for general guestimate. Thanks for the info. looking forward to the spring.

I’ve chased a black bear near Lake Clark National Park a few years ago but this will be different. I love Alaska and that’s why I go back every year.

Thanks again.