Prize for most Does...

Ok, i have spoken to Handgunner on the phone at length about deer, my medical issues, people of the forum and about my ideas on what i would like to donate. Here is the scoop....

Whoever shoots the most does in GA by contest rules WITH A HANDGUN will win a used rifle or shotgun from my arsenal. I have not chosen the gun yet, but i will in the next two weeks and will post pictures of it. The gun will be yours to do as you please. Sell it, keep it or hand it down to a younger person who might need it more than you do.

I give away a gun or something of equal value every year to a younger person who would benefit and appreciate it more than any one else as a Christmas gift. I bought a hog hunt for one youth in 2005, I gave away a 742 woodsmaster to a youth in 2006 and Last year i bought a Remington 1100 for another youth and it was given to him by a good friend of mine because i could not be there because of a deployment.

Bottom line, anything to promote the younger generation to hunt, i am willing to help...this contest is promoting something i have been getting into more and more...handgun hunting for deer. I am a bowhunter first and foremost, with slug gun hunting being a close second, but handgun hunting is getting to be a big thing for me and i love it.

Finally, i think that people can shoot more does and help balance out the buck to doe ratio. Donating the meat if your not going to use it is also a great way to help out fellow sportsmen. I know of two people on here who did not shoot a deer last year, but could have used deer meat to sustain themselves and their families through the spring as a supplement to the price of beef. People are appreciative and the feeling i get when helping others is unbelieveable, especially fellow sportsmen and women.

So, now you got some background why i am doing this...The rifle or shotgun i have in mind to use as a prize will be in the price range of 300 to 400 dollars in resale value, or the value in which i bought it. And it is yours to do as you please with if you win after we fill out a quick sales reciept between the winner and I.

If more than one person has taken the largest number of does, then those who have taken the largest number will pick a number between 1 and 500. I will choose a winning number prior to this and will PM it to Hangunner or whoever is not in the running for the prize. Whoever is closest to that number will win the gun. Getting it to you will be worked out at that time.

Only thing i ask, is for people to be honorable. Please do not shoot a doe with a rifle and then claim it as a doe kill with your handgun. It is easy to do just to win a contest, but for someone who is trying their hardest and are actually hunting with a handgun only and get snuffed out by someone who cheated...well, that stinks like a 2 day old carcass in 90 degree heat.

Good luck to all and i hope to meet the winner soon after the last day of the contest.

HandgunHTR
Squirreldoghunter
11P&YBOWHUNTER------------1 doe
Straightshooter
Handgunner ---------------------1 doe
SakoL61R
T_Fish
Javelin----------------------------1 Doe
frankwright
davidf
Buckaroo93
collardvalleydeerhunter
ForkHorn-------------------------1 doe
ATLRoach-----------------------2 doe
F14Gunner
Redneck Maguiver
specialk
SpecialK's Son
Eddy M.
JEFF GRIFFITH

Last edited:

Handgunner

I can't thank you enough for the donation Chad!!! And it was great talkin' with you the other night...

Ya still talk funny though... :rofl:

I can't thank you enough for the donation Chad!!! And it was great talkin' with you the other night...

Ya still talk funny though... :rofl:

Yea i know...and i do not eat grits, crawfish, pigs feet and mountain oysters!! I will never be a good ole boy :cry:

Handgunner

Yea i know...and i do not eat grits, crawfish, pigs feet and mountain oysters!! I will never be a good ole boy :cry:
I eat grits and crawfish..... if the other makes or breaks me as a "good ol' boy" then I guess I'll just have to let it be.. :bounce:

And I know where Abaco is coming from on the GRITS part....... :D

Handgunner, Since I was not born in the south, I thought they were all requirements. :)

Abaco, Thanks for donating a box of shells!!

Oh, and don't pay no mind to folks with a chip on their shoulder, they just need to pick on others to boost their self esteem.

So what happens if i am in the running for the rifle? I plan to hunt as much as possible with either my glock 10mm or my Lone Eagle in 308.

Show no Mercy!

I was asked 2 days ago if I was considering buttonheads like davidf's a doe or not. My answer is no. In the fifth paragraph in the first post I made it clear this was for does. Handgunner counts a buttonhead as a doe because that is the tag used. This "subcontest" is for doe only, as in female deer. Balancing out the buck to doe ratio by shooting more doe is simply that. Buttonheads are bucks that ain't got the chance to grow antlers yet is all.

If anyone wants to voice their opinion, feel free.

New leader by the way ....

Handgunner

I was asked 2 days ago if I was considering buttonheads like davidf's a doe or not. My answer is no. In the fifth paragraph in the first post I made it clear this was for does. Handgunner counts a buttonhead as a doe because that is the tag used. This "subcontest" is for doe only, as in female deer. Balancing out the buck to doe ratio by shooting more doe is simply that. Buttonheads are bucks that ain't got the chance to grow antlers yet is all.

If anyone wants to voice their opinion, feel free.

New leader by the way ....
I agree.. Thanks again for the donation!

F14Gunner

So point wise for the contest it counts 10 points, although it's a buck?

Handgunner

So point wise for the contest it counts 10 points, although it's a buck?
Last year I ruled that buttonheads were counting as a "doe" since an antlerless tag was used, and since the definition of a buck is "at least 1" of visible bone above the hairline".

If there is visible bone above the hairline, then it's counted as a spike (buck) which would be 9 points.

Everyone OK with that? If not, be honest. I can change it if everyone wants.

Alot of peple on the board, ATLRoach is still in the lead.

Got invited on a doe only hunt in Jessup on the 6th, 7th and 8th. I can fill the remainder of my tags there! Taking only 2 pistols with me...my Glock 20 and Lone Eagle in 308. Time to fill my remaining tags and the contest. Come on straightshooter, let's get some points!!!

ATLRoach

I hope to stay in it and pull out the win! Hopefully I have some in pistol range again.

Looks like roach is gonna walk away with a good rifle if people do not make a last ditch effort!