Problems with Navionics+ on new Lowrance Hook2-5 Splitshot

RamblinWreck

I recently purchased a Lowrance Hook2 Splitshot (2D + DI) sonar unit for my NuCanoe kayak. It came with a Navionics+ card with subscription for one year. My home lake (HG Lathem) has wildly incorrect topo data on the Navionics sonar chart, and no info on C-map. So I was hoping to use the Sonarchart Live feature of Navionics, which they claim is compatible with this Hook2 unit, to map the lake.

I cannot figure out how to use Sonarchart Live on this unit. It seems to be missing from the menu system, or I can't find it. I've been all thru it several times.

Also, I took sonar logs of my fishing trips and uploaded them to Navionics for processing, but they were not accepted because, per Navionics, they are not permitted to accept Lowrance proprietary log files.

So I am SOL on both features, and feel like I have been lied to by both Lowrance and Navionics. I have contacted both companies for assistance, but have not received a reply.

Anyone else having this issue?

RamblinWreck

Well I found the Sonarchart Live setting under "overlay" ("SCL") and will try it again when I go next time. But that still doesn't explain why Navionics won't accept sonar logs from the unit.

Knew I should have went with the "bird". Every time I try to save a dollar it backfires.

Last edited:

Curly Joe

Don't feel bad. I have gone through 3 triple shot transducers on my Hook2 12" in the last 5 months. Sonar (broad band) goes out after about 10 hours of operation and Lowrance does not have a clue why. Getting tired of pulling cables through the hull to the CC.

1996stratos

Now all you need to do is download the app to your I phone or tablet pay a small fee like $9.99 to navionics connect wirelessly to your lowrance unit so it can get the sonar readings and map it live. You can also purchase a Vexilar sonar to mount on your boat and it will connect to your phone or tablet. They are under $150
Lowrance also has the same thing available for the elite, gen3 and carbon units. The latest update allows you to use insight live to map directly to your unit. It is saved to your sd card and you don't have to share with anyone.
The best thing about these features is that every pass you make over a area adds additional detail to your map. Eventually it will be pretty much perfect.
I have always used lowrance products. I have had some of the other models also and no Lowrance is not perfect but the make a awesome product. The hook series you have is the budget minded lower priced unit. It does not include a lot of features some of the other units have.

RamblinWreck

I'm not interested in buying something else right now. The Hook2 has no wi-fi nor bluetooth, and I hate using phone apps anyway, especially on a kayak in areas typically with no cell signal, in bright sun, on a tiny screen.

I am no longer interested in uploading my sonar logs to Navionics anyway. Their business model seems rather diabolical: they have their customers do all the mapping and then fleece them with expensive subscriptions. When the free subscription runs out next year, I will not be renewing the Navionics.

For now, I will just use SCL (since I figured out how to enable it, ha), and will also try the C-map genesis as suggested above.

@BoosterC: I like the idea of a free service much better than the Navionics pay-forever business model. On the Hook2 I can switch between Navionics and C-map, so I will try it out soon. Thanks.

RamblinWreck

So I learned it is a proprietary thing where Navico (Lowrance, Simrad) has not allowed Navionics to use their sonar log format. The mapping market is hotly competitive, and the favored business model is a paid subscription.

I'm good for a year before I have to change, so I'll see which one I like better. I think I'll just go fishing and use the thing. It does have extensive Lanier data, and I'm looking forward to venturing out on the big lake when the summer rec traffic dies down and the bite kicks in. (y)

RamblinWreck

So, an update: SonarChart Live is still not working, and I have support cases open with Navionics and Lowrance. Might be a card issue but still not clear. To be specific, the SonarChart Live mapping feature is still not working for me as advertised...

I took @BoosterC 's advice and was able to create a map card with Insight Genesis that looks good for the lake - and works straight away - for free. Thanks.