Problems with Remington 700

Dog Hunter

My .270 Remington 700 will fire when the safety is released. :eek: No finger, nothing inside the trigger guard. The trigger has not been adjusted. The rifle has probably not had 50 rounds fired through it. My questions are. Has anyone has had this problem and if so how did you get the problem corrected.

Dog Hunter

Yes,
I contacted them and they want me to send it to a gunsmith in Kent for them to look at. Said they have a two year warr. and it may or may not be covered. If not would be around $200-225 to correct. Suppose this is happening in 1% of their model 700 guns. :banginghe ::huh:

mpowell

i've had my model 700 .270 since '88 and i've never had anything like that happen! hope i don't. guess that's why we always make sure guns are pointed in a safe direction.

LongHornHunter

It sounds like a problem with the sear not holding. I would take it to a local gunsmith and have them take a look. I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT YOU NOT TRY TO MAKE ANY ADJUSTMENTS, but have a professional look at it.

DCOMP54

700 Trigger Problem

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR TRIGGER IS OR HAS BEEN ADJUSTED WRONG. YOU SAID YOU DIDNT DO IT,I UNDERSTAND THAT. EITHER TAKE IT TO A GUN SMITH OR YOU COULD DO IT YOUR SELF. ( P.S., THIS MAY VOID ANY WARRANTY ON OR LEFT ON THE GUN.
I STARTED TO GIVE INFO ON SETTING IT YOURSELF. BUT UNDER CONDITIONS, IT MIGHT NOT BE A GOOD IDEA. I HAVE SET MINE AND HAVE LESS THAN 2.0 LBS TO FIRE MINE. BUT YOU CANT BUMP THE STOCK AND IT FIRE.
PM ME IF YOU NEED INFO ON HOW TO DO THIS.
A GUN SMITH WILL CHARGE YOU A LITTLE FOR THIS. :yeah:
DENNIS

Dog Hunter

Don't worry about me trying to set the trigger. I will leave that to someone that knows what they are doing.

DCOMP54

Trig/set

IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HAVE A SMITH SET IT. SAFETY/ LIABILITY.
HE CAN SET IT TO REM/SPECS. OR A LITTLE SOFTER FOR YOU. TAKING SOME OF THE TRAVEL OUT OF THE TRIG, MAKES IT NICER AND EASIER T SHOOT.
HAVE A GOOD DAY ! :flag:

Dog Hunter

They had a recall for the 600 several years ago. They will not say there is a problem with the 700 model, even though this is occuring in 1% of the model 700.
This is from the public citizen.

Remington knew about a problem in its bolt-action line when the fire control system was patented in 1950. The original patent application states that "we have found it to be essential that the safety means be so arranged that an inadvertent operation of the trigger while the safety is in the 'Safe' position will not condition the arm to fire upon release of the safety."(53) In 1978, Remington settled a case brought by a man who was paralyzed when a Model 600 rifle suddenly discharged as the safety release was pushed into the "off" position.(54) The company calculated that 50% of the 200,000 Model 600 rifles it had sold would fail.(55) Facing the threat of future multi-million dollar awards and the prospect of having its insurance canceled, the company recalled the Model 600 rifles within a few days of the settlement.(56)

The company's cost/benefit analysis was very different for the Model 700 rifle. Remington has sold at least 10 times as many Model 700 rifles as Model 600 rifles; however, in a company Product Safety Subcommittee meeting held in January 1979, Remington decided that only 1% of these rifles might be subject to the discharge problem.(57) See Exhibit 5. Therefore, despite the fact that the Model 600 rifles and the Model 700 rifles evidenced the same discharge problem leading to the same kinds of injuries,(58) the Subcommittee decided against recalling the Model 700 rifles because "the recall would have to gather 2,000,000 guns just to find 20,000 that are susceptible to this condition."(59) Publicly, Remington denies their guns are defective, saying such accidents stem from user mistakes.(60) According to Richard C. Miller, Esq., attorney for a number of plaintiffs who have been injured by these rifles, Remington would rather defend against lawsuits and pay claims on the Model 700 than lose sales due to a recall.(61)

Dog Hunter

But here is where the problem must lie

In early 1982, citing "customer preference," Remington redesigned the Model 700 so that it could be loaded and unloaded while the safety device is engaged. This reduced the frequency of accidental discharges due to the trigger connector defect by decreasing the number of times that the safety is released; however, the trigger connector defect remains uncorrected.(65)
:eek:

Ga-Spur

Remington knows of this problem for sure. We had one that went off just sitting in the stand ; after it was left over night in a Jeep. About 10:00 AM the rifle just shoots and no one is touching it .

CAL

This is a small adjustment and in no way should cost $200-$225.The overtravel screw is too tight not letting the seer connect to the disconector properly most likely.
I would guess when the gun was shipped it held fine.Because all metal wears in use,the 50 rds.you spoke of shooting was all that was needed to make it not hold.Any gun with an adjustable trigger can do this if not adjusted correctly.All in all it is most likely a quality control problem at Remington.
This could also be a faulty part in the trigger mechernism.I would definitely take it to a qualified Smith who can check the whole mechernism out!Good luck,keep us posted with your outcome.

gtaff

Banned
Had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I was fixing to shhot a deer took the safety off and boom the .270 spoke never touching the tripper. Thank goodness for practicing gun safety. I had bought the gun used from a PAwnshop/gun store in Macon. They sent it back to Remington. The gun smith could not fix it. I am not sure what if any charges applied. If there was any charges then Arvins in Macon took care of it. It is quite a common problem from what I understand. Remington and Arvins took care of it for me though and did not have any more problems with it. If I can help you in anyway drop me a PM or something I will try and find the paper work.

Ga-Spur

Remington knows of this problem for sure. We had one that went off just sitting in the stand ; after it was left over night in a Jeep. About 10:00 AM the rifle just shoots and no one is touching it .

Chuck C

Good Lord!!!!

About ten years ago, I was about to shoot a deer left handed(I'm a righty) and in a very contorted position.
I was wearing heavy gloves but I don't remember pulling the trigger. I flicked the safety off and Boom!!!

Could have been me could have been the gun.
This has not happened since and the trigger has been professionally adjusted.

SCARY!!

Wetzel

I had the same problem with a Model 700 VLS earlier this year. I'd bought the gun, new, at the end of February and around June the gun was firing on its on. This was after approximately 100 rounds thru the gun. I contacted Remington and was told to send the gun back to the factory for them to take a look at. Remington determined that rust within the trigger was the cause of the gun firing when the safety was pushed off. This gun had never been out in any damp weather and was only a few months out of the box.

My repair was covered under the warrenty so in the end I only had to pay for shipping, however everytime I push the safety off, I am a little nervous with this gun now. I think that Remington knows that there is a problem with the trigger/safety on their Model 700s, but with so many in the field, it is easier to only fix the ones that malfunction rather than recall and replace them all.