Progression of a Timber Rattler bite

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Their venom is different from our other pit vipers. I think it can also vary in them depending on their region too. No doubt that was a hot bite.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a friend who had a similar situation with a copperhead bite. He almost lost a finger. Snake venom is some nasty stuff.

Nic, I read somewhere that canebrake phase venom is even more potent and complex than the timber phase we have up here.

jbogg

I have a friend who had a similar situation with a copperhead bite. He almost lost a finger. Snake venom is some nasty stuff.

Nic, I read somewhere that canebrake phase venom is even more potent and complex than the timber phase we have up here.

Dang potent stuff! Hillbilly it’s not to late to join the snake boot club.?. Seriously, I realize that getting bit out there is a real longshot, but at my age I would not want to be a couple miles from the truck and have it happen.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

I believe that`s correct. The one good thing about a canebrake over a diamondback is that on average they are quite docile compared to a diamondback. It`s not hard to get a diamondback riled up and ready for defense.

Fork Horn

That looks terrible. He's lucky that he gets to keep his finger.

This is also the reason I'm a snake killer. I don't mind non venonous snakes and always give them a pass (I know it's also the legal thing to do). However, if I can safely do away with a venomous snake, I do it. It's not the snakes that I see that I'm afraid of; it's the ones I don't see. Just because I spot one this time doesn't mean I'll see him the next time. I would hate to see anyone go through something like that bite.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Dang potent stuff! Hillbilly it’s not to late to join the snake boot club.?. Seriously, I realize that getting bit out there is a real longshot, but at my age I would not want to be a couple miles from the truck and have it happen.
I can think of about a dozen people off the top of my head I know that have been bitten. Snake boots wouldn't have saved a one of them. Mostly bites to the hand or finger while working by copperheads that they didn't see and reached too close to. I don't know anybody I can think of offhand who was bitten on the leg.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that`s correct. The one good thing about a canebrake over a diamondback is that on average they are quite docile compared to a diamondback. It`s not hard to get a diamondback riled up and ready for defense.
I've never encountered a wild diamondback, (I'd sure like to see one,) but I have run up countless timber rattlers over the years. Haven't met an aggressive one yet unless you mess with them.

Hillbilly stalker

I hear people around here using the term canebrake and timber like they are the same snake, is that correct ? All of them I see look like this one image.jpeg

tree cutter 08

I got a strike yesterday by a copperhead trying to sun on a rock. I saw him as he was striking and did some kind of fancy move and luckily he missed. Would have been on my calf if he connected. I didn't have on my snake boots, just a pair of work boots with shorts. I slowed down and started looking where I was going after that! Don't know if a copperhead could penetrate a regular pair of boots or not. I sorta doubt it. Like hillbilly said, hands is usually where ya get bit.

Cmp1

BANNED
A little off topic,but I stuck myself under my thumbnail,and looked similar to that,,,,all I can say is that,if you poke yourself under a fingernail,keep an eye on it,,,,perfect breeding ground,,,,

turkeykirk

I got a strike yesterday by a copperhead trying to sun on a rock. I saw him as he was striking and did some kind of fancy move and luckily he missed. Would have been on my calf if he connected. I didn't have on my snake boots, just a pair of work boots with shorts. I slowed down and started looking where I was going after that! Don't know if a copperhead could penetrate a regular pair of boots or not. I sorta doubt it. Like hillbilly said, hands is usually where ya get bit.

The only copperhead I ever stepped on was about 2 1/2 feet long. Stepped on him about 4 inches behind his head. He turned and bit the toe of the Herman Survivor boot I had on. No penetration just the venom on the top of the boot. Was walking a high river bank trying to fish. Never saw him in the undergrowth. My father walking behind me saw him move as I stepped on him. Made me look a lot more carefully. :biggrin3: