Protein feeder recommendations

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
grady white look above your post. I swear by C'MERE DEER CORN COAT. I also threw some C'MERE DEER up into the tubes on the corn that was already in them. As you can see the bucks immediately started to eat during the day.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.49.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 7.49.47 PM.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 10220061.jpg
    10220061.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

grady white

the bucks do take them over for sure.

Attachments

• bb feeder 5.jpg
    bb feeder 5.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 45
  • big boy and wide 8 at feeder.jpg
    big boy and wide 8 at feeder.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 47
  • bucks at feeder.jpg
    bucks at feeder.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 46

shdw633

I will certainly give it a try ...I had a time getting deer to come to a feeder but once they got on it they wear it out ...I'm fixing to put another one up at a different location ...I will be sure and pick up some corn coat ...where do you get it ?

Thanks for the information on Byron Grady White!! Will stop in there my next trip up. I usually can find Cmere deer products in Walmarts

ldavid008

ldavid008 You need to teach the deer to eat the protein food by mixing corn in with it. Then they will get a taste for it and then eat it.

I tried that and I had pictures of 7 very large coons emptying the entire feeder to get to the 50 lbs of corn that I'd mixed in. It took them about a week before it was empty, you could see the feed in one of the nozzles and tell when it was emptied, piling up on the ground being ruined by rain.

Cool Hand Luke

Grady, looks like you have some of those shark teeth ty-wrapped to the legs. Is that what I'm seeing? Do they seem to work?

Thanks to everyone

Blackston

I have 140 acres that I feed corn on all year was thinking about protein? I know it's not gonna grow me a Foxworthy deer But would it help me hold the deer a little better ?

Dbender

View attachment 955974
I’ve built a bunch of these on my property with the deep v shape. Pretty cheap and last forever. Hogs can’t push them over. But I’ve seriously considered changing the design to an “OPEN” trough or tray to prevent bucks from bumping their antlers while in velvet . And ive never seen a large buck eat out of the feeder just what’s been knocked out on the ground. I’m sure they are but it seems like it would be hard for them too. Any input from other guys using the same set up or from experience would be greatly appreciated. I strictly feed protein out of these feeders only and have timed feeders for corn to keep them active during daylight hours.
Ruger what is the purpose of having the V inside the feeder? Why not just take the V out make the existing trough deeper and maybe mount 2 30 gallon drums on either side to store more feed?

grady white

Grady, looks like you have some of those shark teeth ty-wrapped to the legs. Is that what I'm seeing? Do they seem to work?

Thanks to everyone

carpet tack strips from home depot zip tied to the legs ...they work great for me. So far not one coon has made it up the legs without letting go. Some square 12" x12" metal flashing sandwiched between the legs works great too. They can't get around the flashing , when my tack strips rot away i'm going with the flashing .

TampaTwo

Thank ya'll for the input. We have several homemade troughs. Researching something like this Double D. Very expensive so hoping someone can give advice.
We bought 8 double D feeders and use 4s feed in them. We had Boss bucks but like others have said the hogs bump them and the big ones eat right out of them. Conventional troughs are great but hogs and coons can get in them where as these they are unable. But it takes a while for them to get use to they are big. The gurus new ones are deeper, that was always my concern but the bucks put there heads in there.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
deers2ward we don't have any hogs YET. I don't think the BOSS lets them eat a lot at a time which I like. I would rather attract them. but not feed them.

I filled mine up with corn at the beginning of the season and there is still some left as of two weeks ago.

PS: I may not have a lot of deer hitting it because other guys feed them a long distance from mine a lot all year long.

Last edited:

Ruger15

Ruger what is the purpose of having the V inside the feeder? Why not just take the V out make the existing trough deeper and maybe mount 2 30 gallon drums on either side to store more feed?
Heck I guess your idea would work. I made these because they hold about 550# of feed. And the design is really simple

Dbender

Gotcha, Id try the drums with a hole in the bottom. My coons don't rake any out on the ground and the bucks don't have a problem eating out of them. I don't think the bucks can eat out of yours with their rack the way yours is configured? That way you could use the same setup you have, with minimal work to mount drums. Just a thought.

Ruger15

Gotcha, Id try the drums with a hole in the bottom. My coons don't rake any out on the ground and the bucks don't have a problem eating out of them. I don't think the bucks can eat out of yours with their rack the way yours is configured? That way you could use the same setup you have, with minimal work to mount drums. Just a thought.
You have a pic of yours ?