Public land birds

Buckman18

Awesome job and congratulations!

boarbutcher

It started the Monday before when I had a bird come in at about 5:30 but hung up behind some brush at 44 yards. Not wanting to take a marginal shot I let him go with out spooking him. Fast forward to Wednesday evening I went back to the same location hoping for a repeat but this time I carried a couple hen decoys to give him something to see. As the afternoon was nearing the end and I was about ready to call it a day I heard a hen soft Yelp a few times. I set back down did a few yelps and started purring. She immediately cut me off. I sat the call back down for a few minutes and waited. After about 15 minutes I did some soft purrs and clucks just to be cut off again and she was closer. Now I sat and wait till she showed and following her was the Tom. He rushed in on my decoys in full strut spitting and drumming. There at 34yards he took his last step as the long beard#5 smacked him in the face.

erhunter

It started the Monday before when I had a bird come in at about 5:30 but hung up behind some brush at 44 yards. Not wanting to take a marginal shot I let him go with out spooking him. Fast forward to Wednesday evening I went back to the same location hoping for a repeat but this time I carried a couple hen decoys to give him something to see. As the afternoon was nearing the end and I was about ready to call it a day I heard a hen soft Yelp a few times. I set back down did a few yelps and started purring. She immediately cut me off. I sat the call back down for a few minutes and waited. After about 15 minutes I did some soft purrs and clucks just to be cut off again and she was closer. Now I sat and wait till she showed and following her was the Tom. He rushed in on my decoys in full strut spitting and drumming. There at 34yards he took his last step as the long beard#5 smacked him in the face.
Man this is proof that you just never know with turkey hunting. Persistence and patience is the key to public land hunting. Great hunt.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Did you hear any gobbles? I have been 6 or 7 times and have seen birds every time, and still not the first gobble!