public land in al

cleg

has anyone hunted public land in north alabama ? just thinking about doing some this year and wondered what others have done.

durell

yes i have hunted north Bama....... You will see gadwall and coots... they want decoy well because Ga. people will be out there sky busting everything that flys over.... you will come to the conclusion that there has to be more.... then you will understand north Bama is a gateway that will lead you to hard stuff like the mississippi flyway.....it happens...

Last edited:

GSURugger

just go a little farther west, will be worth it

cleg

Thanks for the info. I am just looking for something a little different this year and i read an article last year about the Raccon Creek area. Didn't know and thought i would ask before all everyone thought i was cyber scouting. THANKS to the guys that are willing to offer a little info.

GSURugger

i think i should clarify, i have some friends that go just about every year, sometimes its good (last year banded hen mallard) and sometimes its iffy, like mello said above about the cold weather, wait for a cold snap. good luck:cool:

wingding

Lot's of coots and some gadwalls that will raft up in the middle after the first week. If your serious about going you will haft to do more scouting than hunting and try to get away from the crowd. good luck to you!

littletime

its just like everywhere else, its easier the more you know. Obviously the more scouting you do the better off you are. Gadwalls are delicious but can be the most frustrating bird to hunt. hunt them one day and you will find out what I'm talking about. Try to find someone in person to talk to about it, cause no one on here is going to give you serious advice, I know from experience. Good luck

Golden BB

its just like everywhere else, its easier the more you know. Obviously the more scouting you do the better off you are. Gadwalls are delicious but can be the most frustrating bird to hunt. hunt them one day and you will find out what I'm talking about. Try to find someone in person to talk to about it, cause no one on here is going to give you serious advice, I know from experience. Good luck

Best reply i've read on this site in a long time.

And just so i'm not accused of getting off subject, yes there are gadwall there. Been twice and am not going back. It's not worth the drive. Heard allot of good things about a few lakes in SC. Going to try that this year. If you are interested in SC, goto scducks.com Those guys are very helpfull and will share allot more info than peeps on this site.

cleg

Thanks for the good info. just looking for something different. if anyone has any info about some good public hunting land feel free to join in

i going to go to sc.duck to check info out friend. thanks for letting me know. what lake you hunt in sc? i hunted specklberry swamp old days, its good. or it was good; i not know alabama had ducks. thats funny stuff and arkansas is about closer.

stuckonquack

if you like crowds alabama is the place to go but would rather go west and shoot a more variety (my gps says arkansas is alot farther)