Public land success!

beretta

No birds heard this morning. Bumped a tom 50 yds from the truck on the way back. ? Drove to another place and on the way there 8 Tom's and hen on the road breeding! So I get settled in my new area and call every 20 minutes for about 1.5 hrs and nothing. Head back to the truck supposed to head back home by noon. On the drive out I bumped two hens, they took flight instead of running, possibly on their nest? Get out towards the front of wma and decide to change clothes. Sitting in the truck going over the hunt and the birds that I saw, I happened to look over a field road and I think that I see a bird about 250 yards away, take a look at it through the binoculars and bingo we have a gobbler! So I changed back into my hunting clothes, grab a decoy and my gun. This field road makes a slight dog leg to the left so I setup right before the bend. Didn't want to chance getting busted trying to get a decoy up so I just settled in and started soft calling and he came in on a string. Shot him at 15 yds. My first Georgia turkey and I am happy with him.

Attachments

• IMG_20190414_120439_01_crop_640x640.jpg
    IMG_20190414_120439_01_crop_640x640.jpg
    396.3 KB · Views: 72

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on a well earned bird , sounds like u were at the rt spot !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Way to go man!! Great bird!

beretta

Thank you, everyone, for the kind words! This has been an exciting turkey season. I have been on birds the whole season but haven't been able to seal the deal. So apparently my calling has improved, just have remain still because you never know what direction they are approaching from, been busted twice this season..Good luck to everyone.

wvdawg

Staff member
Good bird - congrats!

hambone76

Congratulations on your first Ga turkey!

fullstrut

Yes sir! Great bird . Patient, Persistent and Position are among the top of the list for these crazy birds we hunt.