Public Land

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Be courteous to your fellow outdoorsmen/women. Everyone I've ran into in the woods has been friendly but this past weekend that all changed. Guys parked behind me, walked in on me past fly down time, could hear the turkey gobbling and me calling, could see him strut on the walk in (500 yard powerline) and proceeded to walk in and blow him out. Didn't stay long and drove off but not before blowing the horn 5 or 6 times.

I will leave yall a couple feathers at the gate when I load him up. :cheers:

PappyHoel

That's always been my standard experience during quota or public land hunts. I've probably had 3 of 50 hunts go well.

DRBugman85

That's what you have to put up with (TURKEY HUNTER WANT 2 BE'S)If they can't beat you to a bird they scare the bird and think their cute.Theres that kind in every wma yuppie idiots that can stand up like a man and hunt like ethical Hunters.Shame that mom and dad did not teach respect when they were growing up. Hope you get him and leave some feathers for them to find..

HD28

That is what happened to me this weekend at Dawson Forest!! I got to a spot well before daylight and parked. While waiting a bit to head out, one truck pulled in behind me, I tapped brake lights and he went on. Seconds later, another truck comes in, parks behind me, but does not leave! Now, this is not a big area, so it's dangerous. I settled down, then left! It was Easter Sunday and no time to be angry over a stupid turkey!

He had NWTF stickers, deer stickers and all that mess all over his truck! Idiot! An yes, he was young goof!

Dawson Forest stinks!!!! :mad:

gnatbait

Probably PETA in disguise....lol. I say that jokingly but I know exactly how you feel...it amazes me how some people were not raised by parents and/or grandparents that instilled moral values in their children. And there seems to be more of this happening now a days. Sad.

PappyHoel

That is what happened to me this weekend at Dawson Forest!! I got to a spot well before daylight and parked. While waiting a bit to head out, one truck pulled in behind me, I tapped brake lights and he went on. Seconds later, another truck comes in, parks behind me, but does not leave! Now, this is not a big area, so it's dangerous. I settled down, then left! It was Easter Sunday and no time to be angry over a stupid turkey!

He had NWTF stickers, deer stickers and all that mess all over his truck! Idiot! An yes, he was young goof!

Azelea Road by chance? I've had some guy do the same thing to me but it was the deer quota hunt. I've had run in or scares just about every time I go out there. The only time that it's good is during early bow season.

It's a shame cause I'm only a mile away. I can be up on the ridge bow hunting in a climber within 20 min of the door step.

HD28

Countless times I have gotten to spots to find someone already there. Always, I backed out went to other places! Sometimes it works out for me, sometimes not. I at least haven't knowingly encroached on another! Just how I was taught.

HD28

Azelea Road by chance? I've had some guy do the same thing to me but it was the deer quota hunt. I've had run in or scares just about every time I go out there. The only time that it's good is during early bow season.

It's a shame cause I'm only a mile away. I can be up on the ridge bow hunting in a climber within 20 min of the door step.

No. Goshen Church area. Heck, I don't care to tell, I'll never be back there as it seems to be wore out anyway!!

Rabun

He sounds like a real sportsman...I haven't been back to Dawson Forest since I had a bunch of stuff stolen during a deer hunt...even took my coffee pot. Low life!!

baddave

don't ya hate to have to include the people factor when hunting??puts a whole nuther challenge that i don't like

tknight

Sorry that happened to ya! Had the same type of thing happen to me on opening morning, dummies come in well after I was in the woods, had a bird gobble twice and while I'm getting set up I hear a yawt yawt yawt, then they break out the gobble shaker! Needless to say I never heard another sound out of that bird! facepalm:

Good luck to ya the rest of the season!

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
don't ya hate to have to include the people factor when hunting??puts a whole nuther challenge that i don't like

I enjoy the challenge to a certain extent and trying to work around the pressure definitely adds to the chess match with the bird but that was a little much for me. If you want to come in on me from the other side of a gobbling bird, fine, setup up and call to him, fine, but don't honk your horn from the gate.

dutchman

The overall behavior of turkey hunters that frequent Dawson Forest has declined over the years. This past opening day, I got there at what I supposed would be a good time and fairly early, just a tick or two before 0500. I was wrong. Not only had I been beaten to my intended parking spot, but I had been beaten by six (that’s right, a half dozen) trucks! I stopped to talk with one of the fellas who was standing near the road and was informed that one of the occupants of one truck had slept there overnight. So, I was beaten prior to bedtime on Opening Day Eve. I find it incredible that five other trucks did not just keep going and leave the camper to his hunting. Needless to say, I did not make it seven trucks at that particular spot.

If you beat me to a spot that I have intended to hunt, that’s it. You beat me. I’m not about to park beside you or behind you or anywhere near you. I will let you have at it all by your lonesome. But I’ll be there earlier the next time. I’ll go to bed when I have to in order to get there on time. But you will not need to worry about me sleeping in my truck in any such parking spot. I draw the line there. I’ll hunt in a less popular place before I do that.

I think I’m just about done with Dawson Forest as far as turkey hunting goes. And I hate that because I started hunting there over 30 years ago and I truly love the place. But it has changed. The sporting clays range disrupts my peace and quiet when I hunt on the wrong side of the City of Atlanta tract. The crowds are burdensome as well. I just need to find another piece of ground that I am willing to walk to in order to get away from people. And I will…:cool:

For the record, my brother and I hunted Piedmont NWR for the entire first hunt last week and did not have a bit of trouble with other hunters. Don't ask me why, but it went very smoothly, so it isn't everywhere that you encounter rude behavior. :clap:

redowl

These are not real turkey hunters are hunters they have no respect for any one it’s sad it’s that way I’ve been turkey hunting over thirty years it sure has changed.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I thank my lucky stars that I live 250 miles from Atlanta and that no one has seized on the idea for a Turkey Dynasty TV show. Most of my hunting is on public land and for the most part ethics and good turkey hunting manners prevail. Most give a wide margin of distance between visibly parked trucks and yield to the first one there. There are a few who think that because their truck is "hidden" no one will know a bird is nearby. And there are the jerks who leave a truck on a spot and drive off with a buddy who take advantage of good manners and safety consideration of others who wouldn't think of hunting near a parked truck when it's thought someone is in the woods hunting. However, I've heard the horror stories when some nearby WMA's open up at the season's start. I just don't go there until the season is winding down and the hens have left the gobblers to nest full time. Fewer folks equal better opportunities. Gil

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
The particular stretch of road I've been hunting is 2 miles long and only provides access on one side. Last Saturday I counted 11 vehicles. 4 trucks this morning on a weekday. Time to move on from there.

DEERFU

The particular stretch of road I've been hunting is 2 miles long and only provides access on one side. Last Saturday I counted 11 vehicles. 4 trucks this morning on a weekday. Time to move on from there.

That is crazy! A lot of these "young and gun" hunters have never been taught any outdoor ethics either