pulp prices

fishingtiger

Anybody sold any timber recently? I am curious what type of per ton pricing you received for pulpwood. Looking to sell some timber shortly for a first thinning.

swamp hunter

depends on how close to the Hurricane Zone you are . Mills down here are fully stocked cause their trying to get all the Timber out of the woods before it's unuseable

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It may be wise to delay the thinning if storm damage has caused a surplus.

Boondocks

In SW Ga. it is not worth cutting now.Pulp,chip n saw, or sawtimber.I had a forrester tell me $2 a ton this morning at the coffee shop.

PappyHoel

I was told a year or so ago that it was costing more to harvest it than sell it. Soon after that the timber companies sold most their land in NE Ga. maybe that had something to do with it.

treemanjohn

Banned
Pulp wood has never really paid well. Ply logs are where you can make money but there's not a lot of high quality stuff around

transfixer

I don't know about the prices or demand right now, but I assumed demand was up, the agribusiness company we lease from is currently "thinning" trees in our area, trees that are approx. 25yrs old, and anywhere from 8in to 12in in diameter, in the 40+ years we've been on this property they've always cut the whole section when the trees were that big, now in the middle of the rainy fall season they are "thinning" , in the process of doing so they are actually damaging a lot of the remaining trees ,,,, doesn't make sense, I figured it was because they wanted to sell some of the timber because of demand coming up with all the hurricane damage ? Maybe its just because they don't know what they're doing ?

Last edited by a moderator:

PappyHoel

I don't know about the prices or demand right now, but I assumed demand was up, the agribusiness company we lease from is currently "thinning" trees in our area, trees that are approx. 25yrs old, and anywhere from 8in to 12in in diameter, in the 40+ years we've been on this property they've always cut the whole section when the trees were that big, now in the middle of the rainy fall season they are "thinning" , in the process of doing so they are actually damaging a lot of the remaining trees ,,,, doesn't make sense, I figured it was because they wanted to sell some of the timber because of demand coming up with all the hurricane damage ? Maybe its just because they don't know what they're doing ?
They did that to ours right before they sold it. It was to make the land look better. There’s a term for removing trees but leaving 10-12 per acre for natural growth.

Last edited by a moderator:

transfixer

They did that to ours right before they sold it. It was to make the land look better. There’s a term for removing trees but leaving 10-12 per acre for natural growth.

It will actually help us as far as hunting goes, once they are done, it opens things up so we can see farther, and will allow some undergrowth to come up for food, I just have never seen it done like this before, these trees were planted by machine, with all being a certain distance from each other, so doing what they are doing I don't see as helping the remaining trees get bigger ?

twtabb

I would wait if possible . Once the storm wood goes through the mills there will be a need for mills in storm area to look for timber outside their normal area.
The mills in PC to Havana had damage to most of the timber in their normal harvest area. Where are they going to buy timber over next ten years?

Jim Baker

Staff member

One word maybe, Poles.

transfixer

I talked to the foreman for the logging crew that was thinning our property, he told me they were cutting "chipper" logs , which I gathered were trees that didn't look uniform, usually smaller spindly trees, they are leaving the larger more uniform trees to be harvested in about 5 or 6 years, as " ply logs" , he said that was where the money was, not in pulpwood.

joepuppy

Depends on the region of the state you are in. Prices are all over the place right now. 60 miles south of me is a lot higher than where we are. SE GA was bringing crazy good pulpwood prices last week.