Pulverized or pellitized lime?

csu41826

This is my first year trying a small food crop in the back of my parents property and I need to put a ton of lime on my small .32 acre area. I can get pulverized lime for $2.99/50lbs or pelletized for $4.69/40lbs. The pulverized is clearly cheaper, is there a difference or is it just messier to use the pulverized? Thanks for any help.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Wow. The test showed you need to 3 tons per acre ??

The question is how do you plan to spread your lime???

If using a cone type spreader with a tractor or ATV you will have to use pelletized. The powdered will not go through.

csu41826

Im sorry, I said a ton. Literally 1000 lbs... 70 lbs per 1000 sqft. Does a broadcast spreader not work for powdered?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Nope, I wished it did .... but that is why pelletized lime was invented, so it could flow thru a whirlybird/broadcast type spreader. :(

Bushhog Bob

Tractor Supply in Dalton had 40 lb. bags of pelletized lime on sale this week for $3.00 per bag. I bought 30 bags. I have a Ezee Flow drop spreader that will work on both types of lime.

csu41826

Thanks y'all. Got the pelletized and spread 750lbs with a 50lb fertilizer spreader.... what a pain

csu41826

How are you planning to plow that spot?
How are you planning to plow that spot?

I ran over it several times with some disc with the ol massey Ferguson. Put out 750 lbs of lime from tractor supply with a hand spreader, 500 lbs of fertilizer from the water authority's pelletizing plant with that same spreader, ran over everything again with the discs, ran over it with a pulverizer (no access to a culti-packer), spread 3 lbs of whitetail institute imperial clover and 3 lbs of chicory, then ran over it with a water filled aerator with the fourwheeler... hopefully something good will happen.

Did I do any of that wrong?

Hookedup

I have three small food plots around .25 acre per plot. I’ve used pellet for the past 3 years. Works great. Just takes a lot of it. Same as pulverized. Pelletized just helps guys like us with small plots or hard to reach areas

Ihunt

I ran over it several times with some disc with the ol massey Ferguson. Put out 750 lbs of lime from tractor supply with a hand spreader, 500 lbs of fertilizer from the water authority's pelletizing plant with that same spreader, ran over everything again with the discs, ran over it with a pulverizer (no access to a culti-packer), spread 3 lbs of whitetail institute imperial clover and 3 lbs of chicory, then ran over it with a water filled aerator with the fourwheeler... hopefully something good will happen.

Did I do any of that wrong?

If it fails, don’t be discouraged. Spring time planted clover has an uphill battle with dry weather and weeds. If it fails, plant it again in early October when there is moisture in the ground. Add about 15lbs of oats to it when you plant. The results will probably be a lot better.

Great job with the lime. It’s more important than most care to believe.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I have three small food plots around .25 acre per plot. I’ve used pellet for the past 3 years. Works great. Just takes a lot of it. Same as pulverized. Pelletized just helps guys like us with small plots or hard to reach areas

Yeah but those 40 lb bags are hard on your back after a while.:bounce: I'm fixing to do 1,000 lbs this weekend by myself. I'll be glad when I'm done!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Good luck this weekend Elfiii! If I wasn't doing that thing, with Whosit Family, working on their whatchamacallit, I'd be there to help you! Really! :)

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Good luck this weekend Elfiii! If I wasn't doing that thing, with Whosit Family, working on their whatchamacallit, I'd be there to help you! Really! :)

Plan B. The fertilizer man didn't bring Moss & Sons any lime and my generator broke so I high tailed it back yesterday. I'll regroup and try again next weekend.

Ihunt

I put out about 2400lbs Saturday. Thankfully, I got it out before the rain.