Putting up a Double Ladder Stand :: Solo

RoAus

It can be done...
Items needed
(1)Hunting stand (of course)
(1)Tree (...)
(1)Extension ladder
(4)Heavy duty ratchet straps (long straps)

First, find your area and tree you want...
Second, put your stand on the side of the tree you want to face out...
Third, put your extension ladder up the other side of the tree...
Forth, climb up ladder and ratchet one of the straps as high as you can to the tree (the strap does not have to be tight just snugg)...
Fifth, hook two ratchets one on each side of the ratchet strap you have around the tree(ratchets facing outward and so they crank or tighten when you pull down on them)...
Sixth, attach the other ends of the straps and hooks to each side of the stand...
Seventh, climb back up the extension ladder and crank both ratchets at the sametime and stand will move up the tree...
Eight, once treestand is in place take forth ratchet strap and secure it to the tree...Done

I put up a double buddy stand with an extra 4' section on it this way with miminal trouble. I would suggest if you are accident prone to put a safty harness on and strap it to the tree when your on the ladder in case you fall, but if the stand falls (don't know how) but if it does you will be away from the stand cause you will be on the other side of the tree. About the only problem I encounter with this was I had to move the stand away from the tree a couple of times cause it caught the tree. All I did was just wiggle the ladder part of the stand just a bit to move it and the second time I stuck an old pine limb between the stand and tree and once the stand reached about 4 or 5 feet off the ground it was no problem it went right up. Again if your accident prone please don't try this with out a harness or a buddy. Just my 2 cent worth.

Mako22

BANNED
It can be done...
Items needed
(1)Hunting stand (of course)
(1)Tree (...)
(1)Extension ladder
(4)Heavy duty ratchet straps (long straps)

First, find your area and tree you want...
Second, put your stand on the side of the tree you want to face out...
Third, put your extension ladder up the other side of the tree...
Forth, climb up ladder and ratchet one of the straps as high as you can to the tree (the strap does not have to be tight just snugg)...
Fifth, hook two ratchets one on each side of the ratchet strap you have around the tree(ratchets facing outward and so they crank or tighten when you pull down on them)...
Sixth, attach the other ends of the straps and hooks to each side of the stand...
Seventh, climb back up the extension ladder and crank both ratchets at the sametime and stand will move up the tree...
Eight, once treestand is in place take forth ratchet strap and secure it to the tree...Done

I put up a double buddy stand with an extra 4' section on it this way with miminal trouble. I would suggest if you are accident prone to put a safty harness on and strap it to the tree when your on the ladder in case you fall, but if the stand falls (don't know how) but if it does you will be away from the stand cause you will be on the other side of the tree. About the only problem I encounter with this was I had to move the stand away from the tree a couple of times cause it caught the tree. All I did was just wiggle the ladder part of the stand just a bit to move it and the second time I stuck an old pine limb between the stand and tree and once the stand reached about 4 or 5 feet off the ground it was no problem it went right up. Again if your accident prone please don't try this with out a harness or a buddy. Just my 2 cent worth.

When there is a will there is a way. I like the way you do things. Sounds safe to me and no buddy needed to help either. Now tell me this I have a 14' tripod stand that I need to put up by myself can this be done and how?

RoAus

When there is a will there is a way. I like the way you do things. Sounds safe to me and no buddy needed to help either. Now tell me this I have a 14' tripod stand that I need to put up by myself can this be done and how?

Hmmm...good one, I don't own a tripod but if I had one and spent a couple of hours in the woods sweatin' my butt off and cusing like a long sore sailor I might could figure it out if I had a tree or some sort of vehicle and a couple of ratchet straps :bounce:

Mako22

BANNED
Hmmm...good one, I don't own a tripod but if I had one and spent a couple of hours in the woods sweatin' my butt off and cusing like a long sore sailor I might could figure it out if I had a tree or some sort of vehicle and a couple of ratchet straps :bounce:

You gave me an idea. I could put two legs down on the ground and one up in the air then attach a rope to the top seat portion of the tripod with the other end attached to a 2x4 stob I drive into the ground. With the stob out in front of the stands legs several feet I could then use a come along attached to the stob to crank the tripod up into the air.

Gadget

It will make things easier if you drink a 12 pack or more of beer before doing this........

:rofl::cool:

Just find someone to help you, much much easier...........but still can be a pain, some of those two mans are heavy!

RoAus

You gave me an idea. I could put two legs down on the ground and one up in the air then attach a rope to the top seat portion of the tripod with the other end attached to a 2x4 stob I drive into the ground. With the stob out in front of the stands legs several feet I could then use a come along attached to the stob to crank the tripod up into the air.

I'm pretty sure your 2X4 stob will come shooting up out of the ground like a lactose patient an hour after a gallon of milk and your pod will slide on the ground better than Otis Nixon did for the Atlanta Braves, cause that's a very heavy stand! Your leverage needs to be up high to pull the stand up. Attach high on tree/structure & to the stand top with a ratchet strap/rope and use your 2X4 stob in the ground to keep the stand from sliding. If there are not any trees or solid structures around where you want to place it I'd find some help. But if you insist on doing it yourself remember, move the head the rest will follow. Gluck bro :cool:

noggin nocker

The easiest way is a toss up between renting a crane or using a heavy lift helicopter preferably the kind used by the military. Seriously, tried it, done it, almost killed myself and will never do it again. if you are low on friends, try hiring a good day laborer. Or at least make sure you have good health insurance and are paid up on your life insurance

gadeerwoman

Well it's not a 'stob' but I've seen pictures of a system used to set up quad pods and box stands using a long pipe with a large eye bolt on top. They run a long chain from the quad pod, thru the eyebolt to the truck hitch and have the long pole upright but slanted toward the stand. As the truck pulls the chain, the pole rises upward and pulls the stand up. That seems to work fine for quadpods and box stands. Now for a ladder stand....get you some folks to help.

packrat

yep

Yep. I'm just going to wait for help. There's plenty of other things to be done prior to the 13th.

BEST DECISION THAT HAS EVER CROSSED YOUR MIND