Putting up squash/zuchinni?

Ugahunter2013

I have a good bit of squash/zuchinni planted. I of course will give plenty away, but i will still be left with a ton. What is the best way to put it up? Preferably freezing? Would i do a quick blanch?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Yes. Blanch then freeze. You can can it in jars if you want to go in that direction.

1. Cut it up in small pieces
2. Spread out evenly on a cookie sheet
3. Put a sheet of wax paper on top and add another layer
4. Repeat step 3 until you have about 4-5 layers
5. Place into freezer for 1 day.
6. Place small frozen pieces into freezer bags and store in freezer.

this keeps it from clumping together.

nrh0011

get a slicer and vaccuum sealer. Can put up alot and store them easily that way. Make you up some bags with just squash and zuch then some evenly mixed. When you feel like cooking some just remove from freezer, thaw, and bake.

pop pop jones

My wife cuts up her squash and okra into small pieces puts in a freezer bag and freezes. When she's ready to fry some she'll then cut up a green mater batter it all in corn meal, and fry some of the best supper you ever had.

Ugahunter2013

I have been blanching for a min and a half, laying out on baking sheet and freezing, then the next day i vacuum seal them. Havent tried it yet but i got a freezer full for sure.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have been blanching for a min and a half, laying out on baking sheet and freezing, then the next day i vacuum seal them. Havent tried it yet but i got a freezer full for sure.

We do about the same but blanch ours 3 minutes. You`ll be pleased with how good they`ll be this winter. Near about as good as straight from the garden.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if you don't blanch them, they won't taste near as good. The freezing does something to the taste that blanching stops. We also can a lot of them. Just blanch them until they change color, pack hot into quart jars tightly, cover with blanching water, 1 tsp of salt. Process in pressure canner 15 min,@ 10psi. They make great casseroles this way. Also, we add them to soup straight out of the can. We also can some soup with squash already in them. Ain't nothing like homemade veggie beef soup, with a good pan of cornbread on a cold winter day