quail birds

P

potsticker

Has anyone see any quail on your hunting clubs? After they timbered our place two years ago i heard two. Since then nothing, can we buy birds and place them on our property?:cry::cry:

P

potsticker

When i was a youte, we hunted paperland and industrial parks, found many coveys per day. Now i dont think you could find a mess in the whole central part of ga. I loved those birds.Ga. quail capitol, i think not.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
There has been no proof showing that released quail can establish a "wild" covey from what I have read. You can try, but I really doubt it will be long lived.

Doc_Holliday23

There has been no proof showing that released quail can establish a "wild" covey from what I have read. You can try, but I really doubt it will be long lived.

only way they even have a chance is if the property is managed with an iron fist specifically for quail. That means hedgerows in place and severe predator control.

EDH

I jumped a covey of about 10-15 birds during bow season on Paulding Forest this year. That was the first covey I had ever seen there and it was in an area that has had a lot of logging done in the last 2 years.

Sargent

I swear I saw a few on Pine Log in November.

P

potsticker

My father in law lived in Carrollton and he and his friends hunted quail around town for years, i wuz privilidged to hunt with them from time to time. I think the reason for the quail decline is the lack of beggarlice. Most places i hunted in the past wuz full of the stuff.

Luke0927

You can set up a recall with feeders and waters and it will help you also need to have good quail habitat but like GAtrapper's property i bet it is real good since he keeps the predators under controls...

Hey GA send me a PM if you ever want to go quail hunt i have a few GSP's im training i would love to let one of them run on the birds...not even really interested in shooting if you didn't want me to....

Ace1313

I have three coveys on my property each averaging 15-20 birds the property is 20+ yr pines that have been thinned three yr ago. They are doing great I just need to get on the predators a little harder to make it better for them. This is in Taliaferro.

Luke0927

Luke I will give you a PM when I go again. I usually save that place for when we need them for BBQ's and so forth but I do let my dog run them a lot.

sounds good did you train your dog in the pic? Looks just like my liver and roan GSP.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Potsticker,
You really do bring back some good memories when you said the word "beggarlice". Quail loved areas that contained these plants as it was a good food source for them. I remember coming home from quail hunting many times with them stuck all over the legs of my pants. My Dad always kept some cotton bolls put aside and we would pull out the cotton from it and rub them against the "beggarlice" and they would all stick to the cotton easily.

I loved to hunt with my Dad. He had "lightning quick" reflexes and he didn't waste too many shells either. He could outshoot most any hunter around during the 50's, 60's, and 70's. During all of these years, he had some of the best bird dogs as well. He was a natural born hunter that was more accurate than I could ever be. My best friend and I grew up together and both of our Dads hunted together. We had some really great times and I just wish that my best friend and I could have a day of quail hunting (wild ones)again before we get too far along life's journey. There are no quail on my property in Lincoln County and haven't been for over 15 years now. I haven't seen a covey of quail in the wild anywhere in Georgia for probably 10-12 years at least. I did see one rabbit about a month ago and a red tailed hawk tried to get him while I was watching the rabbit from 30 feet away. I had to wave my arms to scare the hawk away. I think that between the coyotes, stray housecats, fire ants, hawks, foxes, and ticks, that the population of the deer, quail, turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels have been greatly diminished. Of course, the ongoing drought over the past couple of years has not helped in growing any food sources either.

During the past 13 months, I have had some really tough personal challenges. First, on December 9, 2006 my wife of over 31 years died, then a year ago today my Mother died, then I suffered a heart attack on May 29th, and my Mother-in-Law died on August 12th. It's been a really tough time just with my wife's heart and diabetic related illness since June 2000 so I think that it would be wonderful to be able to enjoy a relaxing day quail hunting again and reminiscing about hunting with my Dad every step of the way.

Luke0927

Potsticker,
You really do bring back some good memories when you said the word "beggarlice". Quail loved areas that contained these plants as it was a good food source for them. I remember coming home from quail hunting many times with them stuck all over the legs of my pants. My Dad always kept some cotton bolls put aside and we would pull out the cotton from it and rub them against the "beggarlice" and they would all stick to the cotton easily.

I loved to hunt with my Dad. He had "lightning quick" reflexes and he didn't waste too many shells either. He could outshoot most any hunter around during the 50's, 60's, and 70's. During all of these years, he had some of the best bird dogs as well. He was a natural born hunter that was more accurate than I could ever be. My best friend and I grew up together and both of our Dads hunted together. We had some really great times and I just wish that my best friend and I could have a day of quail hunting (wild ones)again before we get too far along life's journey. There are no quail on my property in Lincoln County and haven't been for over 15 years now. I haven't seen a covey of quail in the wild anywhere in Georgia for probably 10-12 years at least. I did see one rabbit about a month ago and a red tailed hawk tried to get him while I was watching the rabbit from 30 feet away. I had to wave my arms to scare the hawk away. I think that between the coyotes, stray housecats, fire ants, hawks, foxes, and ticks, that the population of the deer, quail, turkeys, rabbits, and squirrels have been greatly diminished. Of course, the ongoing drought over the past couple of years has not helped in growing any food sources either.

During the past 13 months, I have had some really tough personal challenges. First, on December 9, 2006 my wife of over 31 years died, then a year ago today my Mother died, then I suffered a heart attack on May 29th, and my Mother-in-Law died on August 12th. It's been a really tough time just with my wife's heart and diabetic related illness since June 2000 so I think that it would be wonderful to be able to enjoy a relaxing day quail hunting again and reminiscing about hunting with my Dad every step of the way.

sounds like you had some good memories always look back at those to cheer you up when you are feeling down. Unfortunalty im to young to even remember have good poupualtions of quail in GA. I'm got to go pick 25 up today so i can do some more training:(

R

redneckcamo

we have a few in N Meriwether ...I jumped up back in turkey season last year ...but have yett to find them this winter ...was awsome because one covey was pretty large an then seen 2 small coveys on different parts of the land ......need a dog tho......... any takers ????? we will go get um an have fun as well ...lotsa acreage...