Quail chicks

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Been seeing various stages of chicks. Anywhere from ones that could already fly 15-30 yards and some as tiny as mice running around. Looks like some good hatches so far.
That is great! I haven't seen wild quail since I was a teenager! They just don't exist around here anymore.

across the river

Heard a bird this morning in an area I haven't actually seen a quail in years.

BriarPatch99

More quail .....

Jumped a covey Friday morning after the big wind storm we had Thursday evening ..... Two grown birds and about 15 half grown birds .... flew out of edge of cotton patch ....!

Seen more wild birds this spring and Summer than since the late sixties...

Bigtimber

Seen a pair in back yard yesterday.....no little ones with them but maybe they raise some. They seemed interested in the blueberry bushes.

Mark K

Banned
Still seeing flying chicks and mouse sized chicks. Still have to get out and clear the roads of the adults. They keep trying lure the truck away, lol. So far I haven’t run over any that I know of.
Thankfully we also have a healthy population of cotton rats and rabbits to give the predators another food source.

Bigtimber

We use to bird hunt a good bit and a older man we hunting with sometimes would never miss a opportunity to tell his story about quail chicks and how smart they were. Said he saw one batch of them running ( he was running after them ) and saw one grab a leaf in its beak and lay over with it to hide. Like covering up with a blanket he would say.....never seen it myself but he told that story all the time. Go on and on about how good they could hide.

Mark K

Banned
Oh they hide real well. I’ll sometimes try to get one but it’s like they all stop at once and I don’t know where to step so I’ll back on out.
I’ve found if the cock tries to lead me away they can fly.
If the hen tries to lead me away they are tiny and can only run.
At least that’s how it seems when I stop to investigate.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
The sad fact is that the last quail that I saw on my property was back close to 30 years ago and I grew up loving the quail hunting experience because my Father was one of the most prolific quail hunter in the country and could probably out-shoot most anyone during his hey-day. He was always very adamant to leave plenty of "seed-birds" in each covey as well. He also reaised a lot of quail during his lifetime as well and he was always establishing coveys in new areas from time to time.

I WOKE UP SATURDAY MORNING THINKING ABOUT HIM AS July 6, 2019 would have been his 107th birthday if he had not passed back on his 68th birthday in 1980. He was the absolute original "EAGLE-EYE" AS HIS EYESIGHT WAS SO GREAT, HIS DOCTORS TOLD HIM THAT THEY BELIEVED THAT HE COULD SEE A "CHIGGER ON THE MOON" !!!

DANG, I SURELY MISS HIM A BUNCH AS HE TAUGHT ME SOME FANTASTIC LIFE SKILLS THAT I EAT, SLEEP AND BREATHE EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE AS I DO MY BEST TO HELP OTHERS ALONG MY LIFE'S JOURNEY.