Quail hatch

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Oh yes. There has been an excellent hatch around here this year.

Mark K

Banned
I work part time at a private plantation and this is the best the manager has seen it in the last 15 years he’s been there. I’m seeing coveys of birds big enough to shoot into, coveys of birds that can only fly 10-15 yards, and still seeing birds onlybold enough to barely get airborne. Can’t go 100 yards without busting up quail. He is expecting a banner year, provided we don’t get a hurricane or tropical storm that sits over us for a few days.

coveyrise

We lost a lot of birds from our first hatch because of 4 days of rain that never let up during our hatch. Rained almost every day here in south Thomas county. Today and yesterday were some of the nicest days we have had in a while. Saw a lot of birds on the feed line today.
Don’t know if you could ever do better than last year. Anything close will be fine.

quaildoc

I think fall numbers will be on par (no detectable difference) with last year on well-managed areas. Some variation because of local rainfall as Coveyrise alludes to. I expect a solid late hatch so will be a lot of young birds come the early hunting season.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I'm glad to see this thread and know that the quail numbers are doing well this year. Unfortunately in my area, I haven't seen a covey of quail at all in the last 15-18 years now.

I know that my late Father would be looking down and smiling just knowing about these quail numbers because he was one of the most prolific quail hunters in the Southeast. He always taught us to leave plenty of "seed birds" in each covey too. I know for at least 40 years or more that he always had some of the finest bird dogs most anywhere. He also taught me some fantastic skills about quail hunting too as he was dang near a legend when it came to shooting skills of quail and doves etc.

Dang, I miss my Father so very much every day still even though he left us back on his 68th birthday on July 6, 1980.

Thanks to the posters in this thread for bringing so many good memories back to life this morning for me. :cheers:

rstallings1979

I have seen three coveys in the last 2 weeks on our farm in Emanuel County. It was like seeing a UFO each time. I just stopped and stared for a few minutes. Hopefully my burning this past year helped. Going to burn again this year as well.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I just got into 2 separate coveys a few minutes ago.