Quartz crystal cluster Long County?

Artfuldodger

I saw on a Rock & Mineral identification Facebook page, a quartz cluster found in a yard in Long County, Georgia. It was a pretty nice cluster. It had about 5 or 6 crystal tips. It wasn't clear but milky looking with lots of yellow iron deposits on it.

Just wondering if anyone below the fall line in Southeast Georgia has ever found any quartz clusters with crystal tips? I have never seen any found much below Augusta or say Warren County. Much less that far south in Georgia.

oldguy

There's an old limestone pit near the Mitchell County-Worth County line where you could find small (< 1" ) crystals with the pointed tips. Place has been abandoned for years, and now it's for sale. Deep in the ancient sea bed. Cool site.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Found some as a kid in McDuffie, pretty much right on the fall line.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What was found here was 24 to 30 inches deep. Ditch Witch trenching in underground secondaries dragged it up.

Artfuldodger

The lady in Long County said it was found near the surface. She now thinks it may have been dropped or buried there.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Found some as a kid in McDuffie, pretty much right on the fall line.

I found what looks like a quartz trying to form some facets in Raes Creek in the middle of Augusta. McDuffie is right on the edge of the area of some interesting geology. The old gold mines in McDuffie County. I've seen some nice quartz crystals from Ivey Farms in Warren county.

Latest posts