Question about timber, land purchase.

Mrbowdeadly

Heya fellas,

I am considering purchasing a piece of property, ten acres. It is covered in mature pines. The seller wants 55K. He will sell for 45K without timber. I want the land with the timber, because I feel it is a prettier property that way. I will still have to clear some land for a manufactured home. My question is, what is the timber worth? Should I offer full price to get the timber? Anybody who has had experience with this type of land home deal that wants to offer advice, I would appreciate it. That includes anything I may be overlooking too.

Thanks!
MBD

stumpman

Banned
my personal opinion is that small of piece you wont make any money by the time they cut it and you pay to have it pushed and cleaned and get the stumps ground. its not worth it i would buy it with the timber and leave it just cut what you need for your house and yard then cut as you wish a little at a time. i think the cost will offset what you save on the timber maybe timber man can help out more with this.

Last edited:

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I tend to agree with Stumpy on this. Not a lot of timber to mess with. Have been known to be wrong though ::gone:

Jim

Mrbowdeadly

Stumpman,
Thanks for the answer. I reckon I wasn't clear. That is exactly what I want to do. I want to just clear a spot for my home and maybe for some animals. Do you think ten acres of mature pines are worth ten thousand? That is what he will take off if he cuts them. I don't know, I guess I am just trying not to get burned.

Thanks,
MBD

stumpman

Banned
Im not sure what pulp wood is going for in your area call a pulpwood co and they can come out and tell you what you will have how many cords and how big the wood is and how much per cord they should do this at no charge to you call a timber co they can reccomend a pulpwooder Good luck.

Timberman

By mature do you feel they would make sawtimber or plylog timber? Say a 12" butt to a 8" top at least 40-50' in length? Also how well is it stocked per acre? 10,20,30, 50 cords/acre? If it is good ST or PLY running pretty decent(40 cords/acre) on the ground, it can easily be worth as much as 4-5 K/acre. That is the high side. Low side is 3-500/acre or not even worth cutting.

If you are wanting to clear just enough for a homesite, I doubt there is enough value to pursue selling the timber. But if you are interested in clearing it all, selling the timber would be the thing to do.

The nice even round number of 1K/acre for the timber makes me think it probably is worth more. Just seems too cookie cutter IMO.

The phone book or a division of forestry office should give you some numbers of buyers to call. 10 acres is enough to get the interest of buyers, especially if the timber is good. :)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Timberman said:
By mature do you feel they would make sawtimber or plylog timber? Say a 12" butt to a 8" top at least 40-50' in length? Also how well is it stocked per acre? 10,20,30, 50 cords/acre? If it is good ST or PLY running pretty decent(40 cords/acre) on the ground, it can easily be worth as much as 4-5 K/acre. That is the high side. Low side is 3-500/acre or not even worth cutting.

If you are wanting to clear just enough for a homesite, I doubt there is enough value to pursue selling the timber. But if you are interested in clearing it all, selling the timber would be the thing to do.

The nice even round number of 1K/acre for the timber makes me think it probably is worth more. Just seems too cookie cutter IMO.

The phone book or a division of forestry office should give you some numbers of buyers to call. 10 acres is enough to get the interest of buyers, especially if the timber is good. :)
See why we call him Timberman:D

Mrbowdeadly

Yup yup. Surely appreciate yall taking the time to answer my questions. Yes I think it is about that size. It is at least ten feet over the power lines and if my memory serves, much of it is in the neighborhood of twelve inches across at the bottom. Some were smaller. I would say they are planted about six feet apart. I guess I might be safe to assume $1000 an acre? And nobody will cut them if it is under maybe five acres? Is that right?

MBD

Ga-Spur

No they will cut 2 acres if it is prime timber. I think you should keep the timber ; just keep your eyes peeled for beetles. Make a down payment(earnest money) with a Contract to buy and than have Georgia Forestry out to advise you.If the trees are 6' apart and 12" bases they may need to be thinned but if they are 10' foot apart and bursting bark leave them.

Mrbowdeadly

Thanks spur, but I don't think that Ga forestry will travel to Florida, haha. I guess that makes your advice very good with that exception. :D I will try that, I agree, the woods are awesome. I hate to just clear the property. I was thinking on clearing three and leaving seven. Maybe taking the money and buying a building or something, maybe a tractor as I am sure I will need one. Yall are very helpful.

MBD

cowboyron

MBD, Hang tight brother I'll find you a nice piece of dirt some where in these woods. ;)
Hopefully for less money. I'll get Mr. Grant on it. Are you purdy much set on 10 acres or you willing to jump on more if the price is right?

Mrbowdeadly

I will take a thousand acres if the price is right :D

Would like ten, would love twenty, I am dreaming above that!

Lemme know,
MBD

Mrbowdeadly

Right now, the property I am talking about is in Columbia Co. Florida. I need to be in striking distance of Gainesville, as my wife got a job there. I work out of the house, so it doesn't matter for me. I just want to get to the country. I am so tired of "suburban" living. I can't ride my four wheeler around my neighborhood, or else risk a $150 dollar ticket. I want to go out my back door necked and not worry bout being labeled an "exhibitionist". I want to shoot my guns and let my rooster crow without waking the neighbors. You know what I mean.

Signed,
Cramped

Latest posts