Question for all....Deer Pop.

kcausey

Banned
How many of you actually know people that kill more deer than they did when the limit was 5 deer. I'd have to say i have heard maybe 3-4 people talk about killing more than 5 deer a year. Most kill 2-3 a year, no matter what the limit. I say we really sit back and look at other options than harvest limits, because personally, I think the limit has absolutely nothing to do with deer sightings. It just seems to be a gray area to throw the blame that can't be concrete. No one will ever know the exact population, nor will any bag limit be perfect, due to the gray area of population estimates. Why can't some of us just say that we are having a terrible year in the woods...i know i am. I'd say i mainly blame the weather....75 degree highs and 64 degree lows in middle November?....when's the last time any of you hunted in those temperatures this time of year? I guarantee you that if our temperatures were 20 degrees lower like they are usually, then this season would be at least 50% better for all of us.

I don't know how many of you turkey hunt, but this type of year is something turkey hunters deal with on a weekly basis, (coming and going of game), during the season. So, speaking for myself, I'm not gonna panic and blame anyone else but just simply having a bad year. For example, trips to Sapelo Island i have taken the last three years.....first year, october, we killed 68 deer and 38 hogs. Second year, November, we killed 4, yes, 4 deer. Third year, November, we killed 32 deer. Temperatures and weather were all about the same, first hunt, october, was the end of the rut and primitive weapons, last two were bow hunts. So, anyway, I say that things just change, I really do believe that not that many more deer are being killed than usual. How about big farms that have night hunting tags/permission, however it works....but i know a farmhand who killed 188 deer in the summer of 2002. That didn't hurt his hunting at all....he saw plenty the next season.

Summary...let's just sit back and take a good, long look at things before the fingers are pointed so soon. I am not looking to debate this subject, I'm just trying to throw a little water on this hot burning fire that has brewed the last month here at Woody's.
Thanks for reading.
Kip

pseshooter

Kc

Your right no finger pointing just the facts. The only facts I have are from the deer log that I have kept since 1989 and I only have experience a few counties not all the counties in Ga or even the southeast. I understand that that is not very scientific because of all the unknowns.It has offered some interesting reading for myself and my hunting partners. All I was saying in my post is lets take a look at all the options and that has to be one of them.
In regards to turkey hunting I am also a avid turkey hunter, hunting in 5 or 6 states and most of the states that have great turkey populations don't allow the killing of hens unless it is in the fall. Maybe because it is because the breeding process. Ask the turkey hunters in Ga. about shooting hens and most avid Turkey Hunters will say No.

Last edited:

pseshooter

Good Observation

I never thought about the droppings. I will pay more attention to that. I also had another thought. Do you all think the increased pressure has changed the deer to more night time habits? I know that holds little water because you would still see tracks and droppings. I have a lot to think about while I am stand in the AM. Maybe I will see some deer on there way to Thanksgiving dinner at the families place.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Most kill 2-3 a year, no matter what the limit. I say we really sit back and look at other options than harvest limits, because personally, I think the limit has absolutely nothing to do with deer sightings.

HERESY ON TWO POSTS IN THE SAME NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree. How many on this board kill more because they can? Virtually none, I bet. Same with most hunters.

T

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I kill the same number every year...3-4 deer. I can say for a fact that this year I have seen less tracks, less droppings and wayyyyy less deer than I have ever seen. I would bet that I have seen mroe most bow seasons than what I have seen so far this entire season.

So bad that I took pics of poop a couple of weeks ago to prove that I did see it.

Jim