Question for club presidents/officers

Junebug

There are a number of memberships available and openings in clubs in the leases section. This also somewhat follows the GON listings trend where there seemed to be many more available slots, than hunters to fill them.

How do you folks handle the difference? Do you have a reserve? Will dues go up for the current members? Does it ever come out of your pocket? Will you have to drop the lease or a portion of the land next year?

Simple curiosity,
'Bug

SADDADDY

bug

for most of us we will pay out of pocket to keep the lease price down, and it is not the members fault if all the spots are not filled, so why make them pay more unless they want to keep the membership low of course that would mean more out of pocket for each member, but typically it wouldn't come down to letting any land go, I know many would pay alittle extra to keep everything together.

if you got a good group of guys they won't mind chipping in alittle extra if all the spots have not been filled

nevamiss270

GONetwork Member
We had 2 spots empty in our club this year. We had some leftover money that we used for filling the spots and we had to get an insurance policy on the property. Next year we will have the full 15 members.

PHIL M

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think most people would increase the dues. some years our club will have some extra money in the account that would help cover some of it.

TJay

We try and keep some money in reserve. We've had army worms destroy our food plots and have had to use reserve to replant. Same goes if membership isn't full. If reserve doesn't cover the difference, all members ante up to make up the difference.

Mac

Third year

So far, I have not had any problem filling the agree membership. Each year I have run over budget with site improvements and this came out of my pocket. My choice, I wanted it done, I paid.

I am learning each year how to better manage.
Hopefully, No budget overruns next year.

SlipperyHill Mo

Never had a problem filling membership. Always have people wanting to get in. If the money does come up short I pay out of my pcoket usually.

dixie

same as

the other post, I try to end the year with enough put back to get the club started the next year. In times past, I've gone into my pocket for the start up money. We're at 425.00 this year, the most I've ever had to go was 475.00, then dropped back. More than likely, they'll increase next year because it'll be about time to re-lime again.

Duramax

I am an officer in our club. we have a set number of members we allow each yr. If we have an empty spot to fill we fill it. if we dont get it filled we have a reserve to cover this, something like a savings account.

bilgerat

Senior
New Prez.

This Is My First Year As Prez. And I Had To Make Up 2 Slots That Went Unfilled. Ill Try To Fill All Openings Next Year Or Split It Up Between Members.

All the prsidents need to talk with Dixie....... He is a perfect example of self less service. That guy takes money mails all the packets plants all the plots cleans up manages everything...... I have told him I am more than happy to work. Putting myself on a soap box wish there were more members like a few of us that devote a lot into the club not just our own little camp site..... So many try to reap the benifits of the few.... Which is fine I would just feel guilty. Oh yeah back to the question it is better to raise the dues a little than to let just anybody in to fill the numbers.....Keep that in mind

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
cost, members and money

Cost keeps going up about .28 cents per acre each year and the number of hunters are declining. Not only that, deer numbers in our area have drastically declined during the last five years. Nobody seems to have an answer for the problems, but let me give an opinion. First let me answer the original question. Our club has always filled the vacancies, sometimes late and couple of us had to put the money up until the vacancies filled. Over the years I have provided out of pocket for much of the food plot funding, our current membership supports our necessary cost.
Scuddlebutt says the large insurance companies are the driving force behind the liberal doe limit. Scuddlebutt also says crop damage permits are taking high numbers in some areas. lets add it up, liberal doe harvest + crop depredation permits + predators + possible diseases + poaching = Low deer numbers. Good and Bad, on the good side this may provide heavier deer weights, bigger bucks etc.. Bad, you see less deer, some club members come up empty handed for the season and lose interest. Magazines key in on deer harvest, an area with low harvest doesn't get much attention, ie: Hunter numbers search for clubs in areas with high numbers, black belt etc.. :type:

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
The trend seems to have reversed itself beginning about 18 months ago. --- Before that, most clubs were turning away people wanting to join. -- That is no longer the case.

As Son said --- escalating costs for land --- along with a shrinking Deer population doesn't sound good for the future.

Junebug -- some clubs raffle a gun during the summer to cover any short fall come dues paying time. -- Or carry one extra member just in case you come up short.:)