Question for the Godless Reprobates (Atheist/Agnostics)...

BassMan31

What's it like to be bound for the pits of Hades?

Kidding... of course :bounce:

Seriously, now. Apart from the obvious, what is the most off-putting thing people of faith do or say that lowers your opinion of them personally and their faith as a whole?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Assertions and claims that are never backed up.
Pretending to understand and speaking for an entity that they tell others is beyond comprehension.
Using scripture as evidence to back scripture.
Each thinking they are "more" christian than the next.
Over 40,000 denominations that all think the others don't quite have it right.

I'll stop for now.

atlashunter

I don’t hold a low opinion of most Christians. Some of the finest people I’ve ever known were Christians. The religion itself is another story.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I don’t hold a low opinion of most Christians. Some of the finest people I’ve ever known were Christians. The religion itself is another story.
I must say, like most people that I know, without religion to factor in it all seems to go smoothly and the vast majority are a pleasure to be around.

WaltL1

Apart from the obvious,
I'm not sure what you referring to when you say "the obvious"?
what is the most off-putting thing people of faith do or say that lowers your opinion of them personally
The same things that would I find off putting or would lower my opinion of anybody regardless of their religious beliefs or disbeliefs.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
what is the most off-putting thing people of faith do or say that lowers your opinion of them personally and their faith as a whole?
Maybe this isn't my question because I am not Godless.......
But arrogant, stuck up rude people, and those that are just plain stupid. From all walks of life.

I was at a store in March and lady rebuked me and called me son of satan because I wouldn't take her demo crap brochures.

So add those that use religion as a tool.

WaltL1

Maybe this isn't my question because I am not Godless.......
But arrogant, stuck up rude people, and those that are just plain stupid. From all walks of life.

I was at a store in March and lady rebuked me and called me son of satan because I wouldn't take her demo crap brochures.

So add those that use religion as a tool.
I bet that didn't go over well with you :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not godless, just not into organized religions. And I have nothing at all against most Christians, almost everybody I know or am related to is one. But one thing that annoys me is folks who have a business and very obviously tie it into religion in order to try to make more money from Christians-i.e. "Son Shine Used Cars," Fish signs and John 3:16 on billboards for carpet shops, etc. And the general attitude that they have all the answers and are superior to everyone else because they believe everything they read in a 2,000 year old book.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I'm not godless, just not into organized religions. And I have nothing at all against most Christians, almost everybody I know or am related to is one. But one thing that annoys me is folks who have a business and very obviously tie it into religion in order to try to make more money from Christians-i.e. "Son Shine Used Cars," Fish signs and John 3:16 on billboards for carpet shops, etc. And the general attitude that they have all the answers and are superior to everyone else because they believe everything they read in a 2,000 year old book.
You mean like Jesus Lawn Care Inc.?o_O

WaltL1

God is big business.
I doubt the Vatican is having to check for change under the couch pillows to pay the light bill.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I bet that didn't go over well with you :bounce:
It shocked me because I really wasn't expecting that from a political promo. It is just one of those things that all you can do is act crazy with them. I growled with a big smile and she walked away. :rofl:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
folks who have a business and very obviously tie it into religion in order to try to make more money from Christians-i.e. "Son Shine Used Cars," Fish signs and John 3:16 on billboards for carpet shops, etc. And the general attitude that they have all the answers and are superior to everyone else because they believe everything they read in a 2,000 year old book.
If they very obviously tie their advertising into religion to target a crowd............I guess it works like Starbucks targeting a certain crowd..........:huh:

And seriously, just read some post on this forum.........we get blasted because "we failed or refused to research"::ke:

oldfella1962

You mean like Jesus Lawn Care Inc.?o_O

ummm......if Jesus is pronounced "hay-soos" (and it is lawn care!) it may not have anything to do with religion.

WaltL1

If they very obviously tie their advertising into religion to target a crowd............I guess it works like Starbucks targeting a certain crowd..........:huh:

And seriously, just read some post on this forum.........we get blasted because "we failed or refused to research"::ke:
Yeah one hand, why shouldn't a business advertise the fact that they are Christian? As long as they follow business laws the customer can decide to go there or not.
On the other hand, I guess you would have to know "whats in the heart" of the business owner as to why he's doing it. Just because they are Christian doesn't mean they aren't out to rip you off.

oldfella1962

Godless Reprobates is a great rock band name!

MiGGeLLo

ummm......if Jesus is pronounced "hay-soos" (and it is lawn care!) it may not have anything to do with religion.

That's just how you pronounce Jesus in Spanish. Also Mexico is extremely religious (catholic) by and large. May have more to do with religion than you would think.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Yeah one hand, why shouldn't a business advertise the fact that they are Christian? As long as they follow business laws the customer can decide to go there or not.
On the other hand, I guess you would have to know "whats in the heart" of the business owner as to why he's doing it. Just because they are Christian doesn't mean they aren't out to rip you off.
I agree. And you are correct, as a consumer........regardless of who they are, if they have something I want to buy, I turn my feelings off and go buy it......the consumer ultimately decides who to turn their money lose to.

I agree with what NC was getting at though, some people use religion / non-religion and politics to target business and it gives a bad rap to those that doesn't.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
the customer can decide to go there or not
And.........yesterday I bought my daughter Starbucks with the devils money instead of mine........ I won $25 on a scratch off lottery ticket........my aunt calls it devils money.

Israel

BANNED
God is big business.
I doubt the Vatican is having to check for change under the couch pillows to pay the light bill.

I know we took a few steps together down this road before, and spoke briefly. And I am aware of what you have said...of your discovery of futility and inability to "separate" Jesus Christ from religion. And in that I understand why one would be loathe to give themselves in investigation toward what appears untangle-able and only to frustration. And soiling.
If I told you this is my labor everyday to set Christ apart from this thing I find no less persuading in myself...than outside myself...of religious "mindedness" of formulae and concoctions...would you understand?

And if I told you that it is not "I" stripping Jesus of such...but the beginning of sight of a man presented as such...naked...(the work of another)...could you believe? I do not uphold Jesus as "set apart" (though I testify to it)...this is a thing already done.

Men are "allowed" to see things. How and what they see is never really in their hands though nothing appears more strongly evident of that in this world. "I will put my attention...where I care to".

How come I cannot lose this? A young man desiring to be, in as much sincerity as known to him, of service. But told he must be disqualified from that service on the basis of his appearance (O! what wrong inferences and presumption is found there!) because some have found "the offerings are off" due to his (and their) hippy appearance.

Tripping at their reasoning this youth said "you mean for looking too much like Him?"...pointing to the crucifix adorning the "sanctuary".
Keep down that road...if you can...keep down that road and don't let another steal from you what you may have seemed to have given up in some small impudence.

Christ is "separate" from religion...and its goals. Religion is devoted to one thing...the perpetuation of itself by means. And rightly Jesus declared of those who would cross land and sea to make disciples two fold children of he11 than themselves.

But...you are not that. Christ...is not that. But yes, He is willing to suffer.
When a man denies himself the pleasures of impudence...even in the smallest of steps...One is willing, no, waiting...to come into sight. Impudence gets answered by impudence, but when it is swallowed...rather than given vent, a man may be delivered from the clutches of religion to the seeing of Christ. Men's vanity merits scorn, but something else must appear to its undoing.

Jesus knew...he would appear accursed. Men who thought they knew...what they were looking at. But you are being held in the eye of One who finds you all acceptable.

WaltL1

I know we took a few steps together down this road before, and spoke briefly. And I am aware of what you have said...of your discovery of futility and inability to "separate" Jesus Christ from religion. And in that I understand why one would be loathe to give themselves in investigation toward what appears untangle-able and only to frustration. And soiling.
If I told you this is my labor everyday to set Christ apart from this thing I find no less persuading in myself...than outside myself...of religious "mindedness" of formulae and concoctions...would you understand?

And if I told you that it is not "I" stripping Jesus of such...but the beginning of sight of a man presented as such...naked...(the work of another)...could you believe? I do not uphold Jesus as "set apart" (though I testify to it)...this is a thing already done.

Men are "allowed" to see things. How and what they see is never really in their hands though nothing appears more strongly evident of that in this world. "I will put my attention...where I care to".

How come I cannot lose this? A young man desiring to be, in as much sincerity as known to him, of service. But told he must be disqualified from that service on the basis of his appearance (O! what wrong inferences and presumption is found there!) because some have found "the offerings are off" due to his (and their) hippy appearance.

Tripping at their reasoning this youth said "you mean for looking too much like Him?"...pointing to the crucifix adorning the "sanctuary".
Keep down that road...if you can...keep down that road and don't let another steal from you what you may have seemed to have given up in some small impudence.

Christ is "separate" from religion...and its goals. Religion is devoted to one thing...the perpetuation of itself by means. And rightly Jesus declared of those who would cross land and sea to make disciples two fold children of he11 than themselves.

But...you are not that. Christ...is not that. But yes, He is willing to suffer.
When a man denies himself the pleasures of impudence...even in the smallest of steps...One is willing, no, waiting...to come into sight. Impudence gets answered by impudence, but when it is swallowed...rather than given vent, a man may be delivered from the clutches of religion to the seeing of Christ. Men's vanity merits scorn, but something else must appear to its undoing.

Jesus knew...he would appear accursed. Men who thought they knew...what they were looking at. But you are being held in the eye of One who finds you all acceptable.
I think I would (more or less).
An expansion on -
futility and inability to "separate" Jesus Christ from religion.
And I may be guilty of breaking the rules of logic here -
Its true I cannot separate Jesus from religion. I reject organized religion/Christianity so therefore had to reject their idea of Jesus as a Savior/God/etc. based on a lack of other evidence.
However Jesus is said (by the same folks I just rejected, not logical right?) to have a certain outlook/qualities that I respect/admire/think is worth emulating and have retained that despite rejecting him as a savior/God.
Maybe in a small way that could be considered comparable/relatable to -
If I told you this is my labor everyday to set Christ apart from this thing I find no less persuading in myself...than outside myself...of religious "mindedness" of formulae and concoctions..
Both seem to desire to separate yet retain?
A young man desiring to be, in as much sincerity as known to him, of service. But told he must be disqualified from that service on the basis of his appearance (O! what wrong inferences and presumption is found there!) because some have found "the offerings are off" due to his (and their) hippy appearance.
Tripping at their reasoning this youth said "you mean for looking too much like Him?"...pointing to the crucifix adorning the "sanctuary"
I am... not sure of the word(s).... touched? appreciative? impressed?
all of those?..... that you would remember and consider that experience.