question for the older Atlanta folks

gadeerwoman

Back in the late 60's/early 70's there was a little hole-in-the-wall bar/music venue either on Spring St or West Peachtree that Ray Whitley sang at all the time. Anyone remember the name of the place? Spent many a night in there listening to some of the finest music of the time.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Back in the late 60's/early 70's there was a little hole-in-the-wall bar/music venue either on Spring St or West Peachtree that Ray Whitley sang at all the time. Anyone remember the name of the place? Spent many a night in there listening to some of the finest music of the time.

You would ask. I think it was on West Peachtree, past 26th St. headed into town. I can't remember the name of the place.

dixie

Sandra there were quite a few in that area, the plantation, and the wagon wheel are two that were right in that area, the silver dollar, but it was on up west peachtree, the Sans Souci on w peachtree

thegaduck

Can't remember for sure

but I think it was on a little cut-through road between Peachtree and West Peachtree. Guy named Jeff Espina played there a lot.

Bill Mc

I remember "Al's Corral" on Juniper St.

drawdown

Bar

Ray WHO!!!:huh:

Pop

Bottom of the Barrel I believe was located in the old Baltimore Row Building. It has been added on to and made into and office/condo building. Another place was the catacombs either on Ponce or North.

gadeerwoman

Catacombs...I think that was it! All we could remember was it reminded you of a dungeon or something. But I think it was on WPtree between 12th and 13th. Tiny little black building that probably seated less than 40 people. Saw Joe South sing there when he was just starting out but most times it was just Ray himself. I think he may have owned the place. We were reminiscing about the place a few days ago and could not for the life of us remember the name.
Al's Corral I remember! And Jim Salee's place in Buckhead. We used to hit the Harry's Steakhouse on Spring and Johnny Reb's on WPtree. And Lord knows, we spend all too much time at Shakeys Pizza Parlor on Cheshire Bridge and the one on Stewart Ave. I miss their pizzas!

dixie

Catacombs...I think that was it! All we could remember was it reminded you of a dungeon or something. But I think it was on WPtree between 12th and 13th. Tiny little black building that probably seated less than 40 people. Saw Joe South sing there when he was just starting out but most times it was just Ray himself. I think he may have owned the place. We were reminiscing about the place a few days ago and could not for the life of us remember the name.
Al's Corral I remember! And Jim Salee's place in Buckhead. We used to hit the Harry's Steakhouse on Spring and Johnny Reb's on WPtree. And Lord knows, we spend all too much time at Shakeys Pizza Parlor on Cheshire Bridge and the one on Stewart Ave. I miss their pizzas!

Sandra, I was the "bartender" at Shakey's on Cheshire Bridge for a while, one of my favorite hangouts was the lounge in the 7 steers steak house in buckhead, Lorddy, what memories!

gadeerwoman

I found reference to the Catacombs on the web, it was on 14th street. Now I'm not sure that was the same place. That sounds like the place that was just east of 14th/Peachtree intersection during the hippy era. This is gonna drive me crazy!

dixie

I found reference to the Catacombs on the web, it was on 14th street. Now I'm not sure that was the same place. That sounds like the place that was just east of 14th/Peachtree intersection during the hippy era. This is gonna drive me crazy!

Yep, on the corner there at peachtree, it was in the basement of a old house there. I remember that place very well.

gadeerwoman

Then that's definitely not the same place where Ray sang. I remember the catacombs though. That was the big hangout for the hippies back then. :bounce:Now I just have to remember the name of the other dive....The Grotto maybe?

dixie

Then that's definitely not the same place where Ray sang. I remember the catacombs though. That was the big hangout for the hippies back then. :bounce:Now I just have to remember the name of the other dive....The Grotto maybe?

the Grotto I remember was right downtown on peachtree just below Rich's toward 5 points, almost across the way from the zebra lounge

gadeerwoman

Could well have been the Bistro. All I remember was where it was located (and that sounds like the right spot) and that it was a tiny little coffeehouse. You went down some steps inside and it was very dark.
Now that I've found some fellow old fogies on here, who all had a meal at The Southern Club on 11th street (old boarding house that had all you could eat lunches for @ $3.75)?