Question for the RV/camper folks.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Do most(or any) campgrounds allow big dogs(Dobermans in this case)? If so, if you go somewhere and leave the dog at the camp do you leave them in the camper with the AC going(assuming it summer)?

Greene728

Every campground ive been too (which is many) allow dogs. Some area's in the park may be off limits though, such as beaches, swimming area's, etc. Ive seen almost every breed at one point or another. They must be on a leash at all times, not be aggressive, and not causing others issues like constantly barking. Most people do lock them up in the RV when hot, or take them with them. However, some folks will leave them tied up or in a crate while away so others have to listen to the constant barking. Thats one of the only times ive ever had to complain to a CG host. Folks left the dog in a crate ALL DAY while on the boat and that dog would not shut up! Another time had a lady that would walk her dog every morning and let it poop on our site cause we had a big grassy area. The 3rd time i handed her my camp shovel and we had a few words. Didn't have that problem anymore. 95% of folks though are very respectful and there's no problems. But every now and then you'll get a knucklehead.

Last edited:

WayneB

unfortunately, most campgrounds have Dobermans listed as aggressive breed, and they won't allow them. Too many times we had to leave our Dobie behind.
Check ahead of time and see what breed restrictions there are.
You may be able to try some slight of hand if you have a smaller dobie, and try to pass it off as a german pinscher instead.. We were able to 'Bovine Excrement' our way past a restriction a time or two using this method.

livetohunt

Nothing worse than a dog that barks constantly for no reason so as long as yours don't bark unless it has a reason, is not aggressive, and you clean up after it then it shouldn't be a problem.

The last thing I would want to hear if I go camping is a barking dog. Even if it is not constant, it's too much. A dog that doesn't bark would be great, but that just doesn't seem to happen.

toyota4x4h

We take our two heelers camping but they don't bark much. We were told once to put them inside bec they saw a cat and freaked out like they do at home and the manager said it was too much.
I wouldn't leave them inside unattended at all ever. Never know if the ac is gonna go out or they get out somehow. Then the campground and campers have to handle your dog loose running around while you are at the slot machines for 4 hours.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I guess it depends on your dog. I don’t go a whole lot, but my older Lab and Pure bred Labmutt was well behaved enough to take to Church.

Unless there was food available. Then they became professional Blue Ribbon Beggars.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Thanks for the responses folks.

I'm trying to figure out a way we can get a way for a week or two or even a month or two from time to time. Sounds like a camper may not work.

Maybe I'll have to build another house.

tree cutter 08

The last thing I would want to hear if I go camping is a barking dog. Even if it is not constant, it's too much. A dog that doesn't bark would be great, but that just doesn't seem to happen.
That's why we leave ours at home! Nice to have someone come by and check on them while we're gone.