Question for the veteran trappers among us..

mossyoakpro

As most know, I just started trapping this year and now the season is almost over so I have pulled up my traps to get ready to chase turkeys.

I am going through the process of dyeing and waxing to be ready for next year....what I have seen on some other sites is that some folks are using the FMJ for trap treatment. Is this product good to use? Does it replace the dye and wax method?

I was wondering because I could do a few to try it out.

Thanks in advance for the response!!

mr otter

I have used it and don’t like it, BUT I have a buddy who ran 100’s of traps and trapped full time when the market was good and swears by it. Personal preference IMO, try a few and see what you think.

mossyoakpro

I have used it and don’t like it, BUT I have a buddy who ran 100’s of traps and trapped full time when the market was good and swears by it. Personal preference IMO, try a few and see what you think.

Thanks!

OleRed15

I prefer to dye and wax all my footholds. I just like the antiqueness of it if that makes any sense. But I’ve seen some guys that love FMJ and some that hate it. All I could say it buy it and see if it works for you and if your catches go way down try something else or go back to dye and wax

furtaker

I've never used it but I have heard people complain that it still has an odor even after drying for a day or two.

Wiz

I've used it for the past 3 seasons and have not had a problem catching yotes. It does have an odor even after a few months in a rubber tote but it doesn't appear to elicit a negative response. This past year I swtched to using Zep heavy duty floor wax which is the same as FMJ according to the OSHA chemical safety data sheet for each. The ZEP is about half the cost and available locally at home improvement stores.

It certainly takes much less time to dip than boil and wax. I've also used simple rustoleum with no problem.

Wiz

I just rebed the trap just outside the catch circle. After I pull the traps I take them to a car wash to spray them down, let dry, and re-dip.

furtaker

I've used it for the past 3 seasons and have not had a problem catching yotes. It does have an odor even after a few months in a rubber tote but it doesn't appear to elicit a negative response. This past year I swtched to using Zep heavy duty floor wax which is the same as FMJ according to the OSHA chemical safety data sheet for each. The ZEP is about half the cost and available locally at home improvement stores.

It certainly takes much less time to dip than boil and wax. I've also used simple rustoleum with no problem.

Do you use the Zep floor finish or the floor polish? I saw both online. I might give it a try as it does seem like it would be much less time consuming than dying and waxing. It really seems like that stuff would have an odor but if you haven't seen a negative response then maybe it airs out quickly.

mossyoakpro

The dyeing and waxing is finally finished on mine....wow, what a job!

2 day ordeal...maybe next time it will be a shorter process as I now know what is required to get it done. I have 6 brand new 550's that I may try the FMJ on just to see how I like it.

Several of my traps didn't get a real good black color to them, I'm assuming the rust was not good enough for it to stick to them. Maybe after another season in the dirt they will get a better coat on them??

Thanks for all the responses!!!

Wiz

Do you use the Zep floor finish or the floor polish? I saw both online. I might give it a try as it does seem like it would be much less time consuming than dying and waxing. It really seems like that stuff would have an odor but if you haven't seen a negative response then maybe it airs out quickly.

It is the ZEP High Traffic Floor Polish. One gallon coats several dozen #2 sized traps.

It surely has an odor but so does anything you put on your traps including dirt. I actually am more leery of wax as it absorbs just about any smell whereas the FMJ/Floor Wax doesn't seem to hold other odors as well.

I generally don't get too worked up over odor unless it is from my baits or lures. I don't hesitate to handle my traps with bare hands if needed and drip sweat like crazy when making my sets but still have many first night catches. I try to make sure to open my lure and bait behind my trap pattern to ensure I don't get the crusty stuff or drippings on the pattern and don't sweat the rest.

The FMJ/Floor Polish doesn't need removed either. I just continually dip them after washing the traps off with a pressure washer or car wash sprayer. You can use the ZEP floor stripper if you do want to remove the FMJ though.

FMJ does turn white if submerged in water for any period of time and the solution will get chunky after the bottle is left in temperatures near freezing.

BCPbuckhunter

I use it and love it. Just rinse the trap off and redip. I don't dye my traps either. I know it is a part of the process for some because they like doing it but I figured if the trap is in the ground my coyotes don't have x ray vision so it was one less step for me to have to worry about and I have caught plenty of predators that way. But I think I will try the ZEP next season.

jakebuddy

Just used FMJ for the first time, not a big fan. The odor is not gone in 24 hours, other than my mb's everything had to be readjusted triggers and night latches had to be scrapped it made everything super fast which is good I guess just wasn't counting on the extra work and handling. I think I will try formula one dip before FMJ again.

JonathonJEB

I love fmj but I would take off all of the wax that is on your traps. Also I would not dip them until summer.

tree cutter 08

I'm not a trapper but what few I've done I dye them by using chunks of oak bark. Turns them black. Sprinkle wax in and let it melt good then pull them out.