Question

erhunter

Im interested in what people think would lead turkeys to be thick (hens and toms all over) in a property all fall and winter then absent (no feathers, scat, game cam pics) come spring. If the property doesn't change, food plots, roosting trees, nesting areas, relatively little predation,what leads turkeys away to better "breeding grounds"? Any help is appreciated.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Food. That's what drives it all.

10-4. acorns in the fall; sprouts and insects in spring...

But I still sometimes find a craw full of acorns in the spring...?
Always been curious about that...

hoytman308

10-4. acorns in the fall; sprouts and insects in spring...

But I still sometimes find a craw full of acorns in the spring...?
Always been curious about that...

I haven't seen it but could imagine it could be especially those years where the acorn crop is massive and there are tons left over. I'll keep an eye out for this...

I have this problem on the property I hunt deer on, on any given day during deer season I have any where between 20-100 turkeys roosted near some of my permenat stands, but as soon as February hits they high tail it out. I have always seen them in the fall and summer but they leave in the spring. Food is a major part of it due to the fact I hunt mainly hardwoods for deer so there nothing green in the spring besides undergrowth. but I would defiantly say its the food for sure.

erhunter

I have this problem on the property I hunt deer on, on any given day during deer season I have any where between 20-100 turkeys roosted near some of my permenat stands, but as soon as February hits they high tail it out. I have always seen them in the fall and summer but they leave in the spring. Food is a major part of it due to the fact I hunt mainly hardwoods for deer so there nothing green in the spring besides undergrowth. but I would defiantly say its the food for sure.

Makes sense. We have hardwoods, water, and food plots but must be something food wise we don't have in the spring.