Attachments

• May bear1.jpg
    May bear1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 509
  • May bear2.jpg
    May bear2.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 511

jbogg

He looks fairly young to me based on his ears in the 1st pic, but I would guess 140 - 150lbs.

Buckman18

They’re hard to guess, but my guess is 200-225 pounds. Big head, big rump.

Rabun

Definitely a shooter though it sounds like. They are getting thick up in these mountains....seeing them more and more often.

Thanks guy's!

Possum

Banned
I’d say 250 easily.
I’ve killed two over 300 they looked about that size on trail cam. I was guessing they were around 250 until I got them on scales. In my opinion they are heavier than they look.

Rabun

I’d say 250 easily.
I’ve killed two over 300 they looked about that size on trail cam. I was guessing they were around 250 until I got them on scales. In my opinion they are heavier than they look.

I have not had much experience with bears, so it's difficult for me to estimate size, but I did figure this one was well within legal. Sure would like to tag one this year...missed a good opportunity last muzzle loader season.

Thanks!

Dana Young

I'd say around 150 see those long legs a 250 to 300 lb bear would look like a fifty five gallon drum with very short legs. But he is legal for sure. the only way to know for sure is to weigh him . I always carry a set of scales with me so I can weigh him before I shoot.

Rabun

Saw three more mid day yesterday afternoon but didn't get a pic...a big momma w 2 cubs.

robert carter

I have not killed a bear up there yet but hope to be on them in September .
I have killed a whole lot of hogs and I am starting to think some folks judge bears like they do pigs. So many people down here think they have a 300 lb boar till they kill him and he actually weighs 175 lbs. Its easy to do if you have not killed a few. I heard someone say if the bear looks bigger than your neighbors Lab than its legal. Don`t have a clue but I hope to get some experience soon!RC

The mtn man

I'd say around 150 see those long legs a 250 to 300 lb bear would look like a fifty five gallon drum with very short legs. But he is legal for sure. the only way to know for sure is to weigh him . I always carry a set of scales with me so I can weigh him before I shoot.

Bahaha!!!!! Dana, take me with you to your honey holes, I'll hold em while you weigh em...

tree cutter 08

Would you take this one TreeCutter? Just curious. My motivation is geared more toward thinning some them out vs. trying to kill a trophy.

Yea I'd shoot. I got 1 pack of bear left from last season. We just finished eating bear bbq for supper and like always it sure was good. Gona shoot for 2 more this year hopefully in the 100 lb range.

Barebowyer

Having taken a few up to 430 lbs being the largest, I would estimate at 150 lbs at the most, being generous. It's a fact that most people who guess a bear's weight extremely overestimate them. It happens all of the time up North. I have tracked several "300-350 lbers" that the blood trail led to a "boo boo bear" meaning 100 lbs soaking wet. Hunters even argue that it isn't even the bear they shot to include some well known TV personalities. I have been there and even had one ask to use my dead bear for their television show to claim it as one they wounded......

Rabun

Yea I'd shoot. I got 1 pack of bear left from last season. We just finished eating bear bbq for supper and like always it sure was good. Gona shoot for 2 more this year hopefully in the 100 lb range.

Good enough for me. If I'm lucky enough to kill one, I may ask how you like to prepare it. Many people have told me bear meat was terrible. I suspect the meat was not properly cared for from the get go. I am relatively new to butchering my own deer and I can definitely taste the difference after butchering quickly after the kill and then aging the meat. Sooo much better than any processed deer I've had.

tree cutter 08

I will bone all the meat out except for the front shoulders. I rub it down good with Montreal steak seasoning and cook it on the egg for about 3 hours or so at 250. Then I will pull it off and place in a aluminum pan with apple juice and a tad of vinegar. Just about a inch deep. Wrap in tin foil and continue to cook until it reaches 205 or so internal temp. It will pull right off the bone and is extremely tender. It usually takes around 10 hrs or so to do a shoulder so it will usually take at least 2 runs on a green egg to do a small bear. A regular smoker would be just as good I would think. I usually divide it up and vacuum seal in packs big enough for 6 or 8 sandwiches.

Rabun

I will bone all the meat out except for the front shoulders. I rub it down good with Montreal steak seasoning and cook it on the egg for about 3 hours or so at 250. Then I will pull it off and place in a aluminum pan with apple juice and a tad of vinegar. Just about a inch deep. Wrap in tin foil and continue to cook until it reaches 205 or so internal temp. It will pull right off the bone and is extremely tender. It usually takes around 10 hrs or so to do a shoulder so it will usually take at least 2 runs on a green egg to do a small bear. A regular smoker would be just as good I would think. I usually divide it up and vacuum seal in packs big enough for 6 or 8 sandwiches.

Thanks Tree Cutter. Sounds good! I hope I get an opportunity to try it :)