Radishes and Turnips

KILLNTM

I planted these September 27th. I question if I may have planted them too thick, but they seem like they are doing well.

Forest Grump

I planted these September 27th. I question if I may have planted them too thick, but they seem like they are doing well.

You’re good. They may not eat them until the natural foods begin to get scarce, but you should see some intense useage later...

Triple C

Great looking plot of greens. Put an exclusion cage in that patch and post pics over the next several months. I've planted them every year since 2012. Let us know which the deer prefer. On my place, the deer wear out the radish greens before the turnip greens. Curious to see what your experience is with usage.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Very nice crop! I'll just suggest, if you add a few more things to your mix, your usage might go up! Right now, in my mix, my deer are eating the oats, while the radishes and turnips get a little growth on them (along with my clover).

KILLNTM

I don't really hunt this particular food plot and mostly just use it to try new things. This planting here was merely a test to see if I could get a crop to grow and if so whether or not the deer would fool with it. I've heard and read so many mixed reviews on turnips and radishes I wasn't about to plant too much of it before I saw with my own eyes.

Triple C

I don't really hunt this particular food plot and mostly just use it to try new things. This planting here was merely a test to see if I could get a crop to grow and if so whether or not the deer would fool with it. I've heard and read so many mixed reviews on turnips and radishes I wasn't about to plant too much of it before I saw with my own eyes.
I'd bout bet the farm it will be bare dirt come January. Hope you continue to post follow ups as the season progresses.

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
That is a great looking plot!! I planted a mix of oats and radishes on Oct12th. They are coming up nicely.

KILLNTM

After a couple of frosty nights, I noticed the deer started to work on the radish tops, but they haven't really messed with the turnips. Trail cam pics seem to show the deer browsing along the edges as they move through the area, but they aren't staying out there for long periods of time eating like they do on my clover/oat plots. I can't say I blame them as the turnips and radishes put off a pretty strong smell. turnip radish Dec..jpgDaikon.jpg

nrh0011

Great looking plot. I do quite a bit of work with daikon radishes, and yes they do put off a pretty sour smell.

livetohunt

Are you located in South Georgia? That is a lot of bulb growth for that late of a brassica planting. You obviously had it fertilized well with nitrogen too. Nice plot!

KILLNTM

I’m actually in the upstate of SC (had property in Waynesboro GA at one time). This plot is located near where I unload my bulk lime so it usually gets plenty. Most recently I used wood ash. I also spread 19-19-19 when it was planted.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Like has been said, they'll start hitting it hard after a couple of good frosts. I think it sweetens the turnips.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Thanksgiving weekend, they only had touched the radishes. A couple of hard freezes and ........

Turnips.jpg