Ran across an odd round today.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Was at the range this am, and noticed what appeared to be some very short magnum brass. Found a couple apparent misfired rounds laying around. They were 22 TCM.... interesting history20231001_084620.jpg
Next to a spent .243 casing, for reference:
20231001_084753.jpg

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I bet that guy gonna wish he'd done a more thorough job of pickin up brass.
I'd say it provides no new niche in a rifle...
Would make a good farm hipgun, but the blast!

bullgator

I believe that’s the Rock Island Arsenal invention. Reinventing the wheel to me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never heard of it, that's interesting.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Was at the range this am, and noticed what appeared to be some very short magnum brass. Found a couple apparent misfired rounds laying around. They were 22 TCM.... interesting historyView attachment 1258225
Next to a spent .243 casing, for reference:
View attachment 1258226
Interest read, thanks.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I believe that’s the Rock Island Arsenal invention. Reinventing the wheel to me.
isn't it the one the made to fire in the .45ACP for training.
We talked about making some short range hunting rifles in it.
That is how the Accurate Powder TCM came about I believe.

bullgator

isn't it the one the made to fire in the .45ACP for training.
We talked about making some short range hunting rifles in it.
That is how the Accurate Powder TCM came about I believe.
I’m not sure about the .45 part, although I wouldn’t doubt it. I do believe you’re right about the powder.
It seems to me to be another attempt at putting a .22 Hornet in a pistol platform like the 5.7x28 although the TCM would probably have a velocity advantage

Dub

Yep.

Necked down 9mm case.

Attains really high velocity.

Accurate Powder markets a powder for it.

22 TCM cartridge. Producing 2,000 fps at the muzzle with virtually no recoil, this accurate and fun little cartridge brings handgun performance to a new level for small game hunting and plinking.

TCM__44443.1644863550.1280.1280.png

trial&error

I have a stash of those that came with some bulk reloading gear. If anyone is in need I can dig it out, I was going to repurpose what I could. Does anyone need any?

Adam5

I used to have a 1911 that was interchangeable between 9mm and .22 TCM. It was before I started reloading and .22 TCM was a little pricey. It’s a fun round to shoot though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Dub

I used to have a 1911 that was interchangeable between 9mm and .22 TCM. It was before I started reloading and .22 TCM was a little pricey. It’s a fun round to shoot though.

Big boom, big flash and minimal recoil.

Seems like those short little bullets would be a pain to reload.

I could see where it would be fun, though.

rosewood

My brother has one. His a Commander sized RIA 1911. The 22 TCM beats the 5.7 in a pistol length all day long ballistically. And the ammo is significantly cheaper than 5.7 directly from Armscorp. Also, you can drop in a 9mm barrel in the same gun. 18 +1 double stack, uses the same mags as Para Ordnance.

They made a 22TCM 9R version that was a chopped nose so it would fit in a 9mm length action. You can get barrels for Glock 19. Buddy of mine bought barrel, but had issues with it. I think they failed to polish the chamber causing extraction issues.

Rosewood

rosewood

Big boom, big flash and minimal recoil.

Seems like those short little bullets would be a pain to reload.

I could see where it would be fun, though.
Haven't had any issues with the ones I loaded, just have to have a short nose bullet to fit in mags.

Buddy gave me some pulled 22mag bullets he acquired decades ago and they have shot great.

Rosewood