rather owns up to mistake-"i am sorry"

mpowell

STATEMENT FROM DAN RATHER:

Last week, amid increasing questions about the authenticity of documents used in support of a 60 MINUTES WEDNESDAY story about President Bush's time in the Texas Air National Guard, CBS News vowed to re-examine the documents in question—and their source—vigorously. And we promised that we would let the American public know what this examination turned up, whatever the outcome.

Now, after extensive additional interviews, I no longer have the confidence in these documents that would allow us to continue vouching for them journalistically. I find we have been misled on the key question of how our source for the documents came into possession of these papers. That, combined with some of the questions that have been raised in public and in the press, leads me to a point where—if I knew then what I know now—I would not have gone ahead with the story as it was aired, and I certainly would not have used the documents in question.

But we did use the documents. We made a mistake in judgment, and for that I am sorry. It was an error that was made, however, in good faith and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism.

Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully.

GeauxLSU

mpowell said:
—if I knew then what I know now—
That's the problem Dan, you DID KNOW! :rolleyes:
mpowell said:
Please know that nothing is more important to us than people's trust in our ability and our commitment to report fairly and truthfully.
Now THAT is rich! Where oh where is that rolling on the floor smiley?!?! :bounce:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

FootLongDawg

Interpretation... Ok, we got caught on this one, but you guys get me something on Bush that I can report, true or false, so I can swing this election toward my buddy Kerry.

Remember when "reporters" got fired for this sort of thing.

In the long run I love it however. The almighty Rather having to admit he blew it.

Skipper

Banned
I wonder if he called George and told him that he was just "Yankin" his chain.
yankchain.gif
That's a pretty serious mistake to make against the sitting President, and I think would warrant a good spankin from his boss man.
bottom.gif

Oh, and which one did you want?
hysterical.gif
roflmao3.gif

What about?
smiley_dead_horse.gif
or
gritts.png

Skipper

W.png

Al33

"and in the spirit of trying to carry on a CBS News tradition of investigative reporting without fear or favoritism."

What a crock!!!!!!!!

hpurvis

Gone But Not Forgotten
Liar, Liar Pants on Fire. We need to feed Rather to that 700 # hog.

Guy

Common guys, mistakes happen! Give the guy a break.

Break his legs that is! What a moron. :shoot:

The left will stop at nothing to try and undermine our President.

GeauxLSU

Tom Borck said:
Funny he did not apologize to Bush, but for reporting on documents that were fake!
Yeah that is 'funny' isn't it? You report false damaging information on an individual (and stand by it repeatedly despite obvious evidence to the contrary), in this case the president of the United States of America, and you don't have enough decenty to apologize to the man. What a spineless, worthless, embarassment he is.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil