"Read" recommend

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
@Ruger#3 if you spot any Clive Cussler, those are the most adventurous, until you burn out on them

as a side-note, I've never listened to many books-on-tape, but I would suspect the narrator used in the studio would be just as important as which book he's recording. The irony: almost all books are worth reading. But if I don't like the guys voice- it won't matter which book it is

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
They don’t have this in audio, it sure looks like something I’d enjoy!
Yeah, I googled it and found a couple audio editions. Corbett was the real deal.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yeah, I googled it and found a couple audio editions. Corbett was the real deal.

I been trying to keep the books in the Apple library. I may have look at other options for good reads.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
@Ruger#3 if you spot any Clive Cussler, those are the most adventurous, until you burn out on them

as a side-note, I've never listened to many books-on-tape, but I would suspect the narrator used in the studio would be just as important as which book he's recording. The irony: almost all books are worth reading. But if I don't like the guys voice- it won't matter which book it is

Lots of this authors work available.

It’s true what you say about the narrator. In the Sacketts ole Barnabis is a first generation settler so a Brit narrates the book. Down the river is a few generations later about an Appalachian gal, a lady with a Tennessee accent narrates, the stories are out west now so it’s a deep baratone voice for the cowboy character. I haven’t caught a bad one yet but it would be a distraction if you didn’t like the narrator.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If you like the lonesome dove books then I would also recommend Cormac McCarthy.

Apple has about a dozen of this authors books, thanks.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Some great recommendations so far. If you have a lot of time to listen, I can't recommend Dan Carlin's hardcore history podcast. He has hours of material on a variety of subjects.

What got me hooked was his WWII eastern front material. As Americans, we tend to gloss over and frequently discount the scale and horror of that HUGE part of the war.

Nothing in the Apple store, looks like I may need to look at other options for good reads.

I read alot of the Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke. Crime / murder mysteries set in south Louisiana. One was made into a movie, In The Electric Mist starring Tommy Lee Jones and Levon Helm. I really enjoyed all the Larry McMurtry books. On a side note his son, James McMurtry is great country music performer.

Darien1

I second the recommendation of the Dave Robicheaux novels, Burke knows how to use words to paint a vivid picture. John Sandford's PRey series is always a good bet as well as his Virgil Flowers series.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I read alot of the Dave Robicheaux novels by James Lee Burke. Crime / murder mysteries set in south Louisiana. One was made into a movie, In The Electric Mist starring Tommy Lee Jones and Levon Helm. I really enjoyed all the Larry McMurtry books. On a side note his son, James McMurtry is great country music performer.
I second the recommendation of the Dave Robicheaux novels, Burke knows how to use words to paint a vivid picture. John Sandford's PRey series is always a good bet as well as his Virgil Flowers series.

Lots of James Lee Burke available, saw Electric Mist listed. Authors that can”take you there” with words are what I enjoy.

I used to read Clive Cusler and Randy White but they kinda got out there on believability. Love Louise Lamour books. The William Johnstone books about mountain men were good reads.Tim Dorsey was interesting.

Last edited: