Reasonable Price for Muzzle Brake?

krizia829

I have a Remington 700 SPS in .30-06 that tears up my shoulder. Not fun to shoot at all! My local gunsmith wants to charge $185 for muzzle brake, threading and installation for standard diameter blued barrel. I'm not familiar with prices for muzzle brakes as this would be my first.. What do you guys think? Is this a good price? I know how loud they are and how much it sucks to be next to one but I want to enjoy taking this rifle out more than just before hunting season.. Thanks!

pdsniper

what weight bullet you shooting that might be the problem there, I have been loading 110 gn Sierra hp varminters for years for several of my friends and they wont hunt with anything else because they have had such good luck with them and they are coming out of a 30 06 at 3600 + fps with very light recoil so going to a lighter bullet and maybe a good energy absorbing recoil pad might be a lot cheaper alternative and a lot easier on your ears not to mention your wallet

krizia829

what weight bullet you shooting that might be the problem there, I have been loading 110 gn Sierra hp varminters for years for several of my friends and they wont hunt with anything else because they have had such good luck with them and they are coming out of a 30 06 at 3600 + fps with very light recoil so going to a lighter bullet and maybe a good energy absorbing recoil pad might be a lot cheaper alternative and a lot easier on your ears not to mention your wallet
The only round out of the box I found to be most consistent and accurate out of my rifle is Hornady Superformance 150gr SST. I used to shoot 165gr but that left me sore for a couple of days.. When I first got the rifle 12 years ago, I used to shoot Remington Recoil Management 125gr but never found it again.. I shot my friend's 6.5 creedmoor with a muzzle break and it felt like I was shooting a 223! Kinda convinced me to get one for my .30-06..

Possum

Banned
Try the Hornaday custom lite round. Good ammo takes a lot of punch out. We shoot em in sons .243 and daughters .308. Killed many deer with em.
I have no idea cost to thread a barrel but I bought a muzzle break on Amazon for $17 for a Ruger American that came with threaded barrel. It worked fine and did reduce kick but I did not like the noise so took it off.

krizia829

Sounds like to me you need to take up reloading then you can load what ever you need
We do reload but for our other guns. I have reloaded for this one before but it's a hassle.. after having a baby, I barely have time for myself lol my range time is squeezed into grandma and grandpas free time! :alien:

transfixer

$185 is a reasonable price for threading the barrel and supplying the brake, it does make a difference in felt recoil, some brakes more than others, of course ear protection is required when just practicing, but when hunting you'll never notice the noise anyway, and one shot won't be that detrimental, lighter rounds is obviously a more economical choice, and would be just as deadly, maybe even more so , realistically a 30-06 is overkill for most whitetails in the southeast, so a lighter bullet or reduced load won't hurt anything.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Get ear plugs because it will tear up your hearing. Or sell it and get a .243. Or a 5.56 AR.

Attachments

• 7 pointer -1.jpg
    7 pointer -1.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 7

furtaker

of course ear protection is required when just practicing, but when hunting you'll never notice the noise anyway, and one shot won't be that detrimental,
It can if the conditions are right. I shot a deer one humid morning about 10 years ago with a 257 Wby Mag (no muzzle brake) and it felt like I had an ear plug in that ear for over a month. My hearing never came back to where it was.

Robert28

It can if the conditions are right. I shot a deer one humid morning about 10 years ago with a 257 Wby Mag (no muzzle brake) and it felt like I had an ear plug in that ear for over a month. My hearing never came back to where it was.
Lord yes! The 257 Wby mag has got to be the loudest mag caliber under .30 cal I've ever heard. My friend has one and he was sitting at a stand Way, way, way aways from me and when he shot it sounded like he was sitting right beside me. Made me jump and I wasn't anywhere close to him!

AceOfTheBase

Have had threads put on from $75 to $95.
Low end & effective brakes start in the $25 range and go up quickly: cheap brake
Need to know & shop for the type brake that will work for you.
Never shoot a centerfire having a brake without hearing protection, never.

furtaker

Lord yes! The 257 Wby mag has got to be the loudest mag caliber under .30 cal I've ever heard. My friend has one and he was sitting at a stand Way, way, way aways from me and when he shot it sounded like he was sitting right beside me. Made me jump and I wasn't anywhere close to him!
A shovel full of slow burning magnum powder in a small bore will make your ears bleed. I also realized that a magnum cartridge doesn't kill a deer any quicker or deader than the more pleasant cartridges. When I hunt with a magnum or an AR these days I keep banded ear plugs around my neck. Works like a charm.

pdsniper

I have breaks on a lot of my guns even on my 243 it feels like a 22 rim fire I have earmuffs that enhance my hearing but kill the sound of a shot from being on a swat team for 28 yrs my hearing is not great so I have to protect what I have left, my good friend and gun smith builds all my breaks his are the best I have ever used they have four chambers so they are extreamly efficient