Rebel Flag Question

Arrowslinger

Personally I think its disgusting when people take religion and attach to it a cause like the confederate flag absolutely no comparison or connection. I work with a very diverse group of people and almost all have said that the first thing they think of when they see a confederate flag is the KLAN oppression, racism etc.

Hunting Teacher

Arrowslinger said:
Personally I think its disgusting when people take religion and attach to it a cause like the confederate flag absolutely no comparison or connection. I work with a very diverse group of people and almost all have said that the first thing they think of when they see a confederate flag is the KLAN oppression, racism etc.
Arrowslinger,
I'm a little confused by your post. ::huh:
I'm probably just misunderstanding you.
My daughter never wore the flag as a religious statement. I don't think my post tied my faith and the confederate flag together did it? I hope not!
Just the opposite, because of my love for Jesus, I wanted others thoughts on whether they felt her wearing the shirts could be damaging to her/our witness to others. And others posts helped me clear up my own feelings on this subject.

Bill,
You make some great points that help solidify my feelings that we need a change in wardrobe, but for the right reasons. :)
Thanks,
Mitch

duckbill

Hey Mitch,
I think arrowflinger was referring to the t-shirt displayed by another member that combined Jesus and the flag.

leoparddog

I had family that fought and died on both sides - mulitple members and a one pair of brothers (one fought for the North and one for the South). One walked home to Alabama from a prison camp in NY. Several were wounded and none owned slaves.

That said - its heritage not hate. It may give your daughters the opportunity to explain to some people the difference. Folks don't like stereotypes, I won't stereotype you, if you don't stereotype me. My occasional display of the flag has twice given me the opportunity to have a reasonable discussion with people who asked about it. Those who aren't reasonable or inquisitive usually won't even ask.

To those who are offended, I simply tell them that they simply don't understand and we simply don't agree. But the fact that we don't agree doesn't have to mean that they have to be offended.

There is no constitutional right to go thru life without being offended. If that becomes a right - all other rights and activities will be made illegal.

Do what your belief in God leads you to do. But if you worry about offending people - then what do you do about telling people about Jesus? He is offensive to many.

Snakeman

I could get started on this subject and continue for days on end.........

But instead, I'll make a simple statement.

Some people are offended by The Cross.

The Snakeman

CAL

Like many have posted,my heritage goes really way back.We still live on the original property our ancestors settled on 150 or so years ago.My Great Grandaddy's brother fought for the south in "The War Between the States".I personally believe who we are,how we act,what we stand for and believe in represent our heritage more than any kind of symbol.I would not allow my kids to wear any kind of symbol that would make another person uncomfortable.
As a child I was taught to avoid the appearance of evil.It is not what we actually do but what appears to others we do that creates confushion.
Personally speaking,I don't think wearing anything with the Confederate flag on it expresses ones heritage.It could have before all this confushion about racism.
I have never thought of the Klan when I see a Confederate Flag either.Just my .02 worth.

stumpman

Banned
the rabel flag has nothing to do with church unless you use it in a manner that hurts a fellow american or person it is a symbol of history has your daughter ever disrespected anyone with it i dont think she has from the way you say she was raised both my sons have quite a few shirts each and do wear them to school and several people wear them to church i wont let my boys wear them to church simply because we dress better than that kind of shirt for church not because of the flag my oldest has a couple of them on his truck but he doesnt go around causeing a ruckus about it i see nothing at all wrong with displaying a part of history if we dont stand up for what we believe in then someone will try and take it away.

Arrowslinger

Thanks duckbill that is exactly what I meant. Sorry I wasn't so clear on that. This is the shirt that I thought was gross. I don't like when people hijack Jesus to push the confederate flag debate or virtually anything for that matter.

Attachments

• 4318.jpg
    4318.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 605

F250

Banned
Do any of you know any of the history of the Conf. Battle flag? It apears you don't First the Stars and Bars is not the Conf Battle Flag!! The Stars and Bars looks like the current Georgia Flag without the State Seal and with Stars (5,7,9,11) in its place!! Second the Conf battle Flag was designed with Christian beliefs in mind. That Big X you see is the Cross of St. Andrews Who was Jesus Christ 1st deciple He also was Crusified like Christ but on an X shaped Cross!! It is the very embodyment of Christianaty!!

Al33

It seems the point of Mitch's concern is getting lost here. His point is whether or not one should display a symbol of heritage, pride, or whatever, and the potential negative impact it might have on his witnessing for Christ. It's really not about the flag at all when you think about it. It could be anything.

Some have referred to the cross as being offensive to some and I would not disagree with that at all. However, wearing or displaying it in an environment or situation such as while attending a Jewish friends funeral would do little to serve the interests of Christ. Matter of factly, it might be viewed as arrogance on the part of the Christian wearing it. How would this help in bringing others to Christ as we are all called to do? I am confident our loving Father, while knowing our heart, would NOT view our NOT wearing the cross to a Jewish funeral as a worthy serving gesture, not as one of shame.

Truly, a Christian is known by his walk, not by any cross he or she might display, and I would think a proud Southerner would/could do the same without some sign or decal.

Tom Borck posted why the 1956 Confederate flag is offensive to many, and IMHO, justifiably so. Consequently, why not show your heritage pride with a pre '56 flag design or simply a Magnolia blossom if it is that important to you? I am certain many of you who do proudly display the flag would not do so if you attended a black friend's funeral.

I truly believe many display the flag as a defiant gesture more so than for reasons of Southern pride. As a Christian trying to be an effective one as Mitch is obviously trying to do, the priority must be struck and adhered to.

A simple answer might be with another question: WWJD?

I certainly hope my scenario of not wearing the cross does not appear as my having some kind of shame or denial tendency about being a Christian. I can only hope and pray my walk will be enough sign, and I regret it so when I am sometimes seen staggering.

Al

F250

Banned
Actually, I would go to a Black friends Funeral with the ConF Battle flag on my truck!! Heck they ride in it while they are alive, and they know I'm not a racest!!

And By The Way, It's not, What Would Jesus Do!! It's What Would You Do!! We think we know what Jesus would do!! WHAT WILL YOU DO!!

broadhead

Truly, a Christian is known by his walk, not by any cross he or she might display, and I would think a proud Southerner would/could do the same without some sign or decal.
EXACTLY!!!!

Huntingteacher,
I think I unintentionally threw your thread in a different direction when I asked the question about combining a Christian symbol with the stars and bars. I apologise.

Al made the point that I hoped would come out. I used to wear the stars and bars on a cap and displayed them on a tag on my truck. I don't anymore. Not because I am ashamed of anything, I just don't feel the need to "represent." anymore.
As a teacher, I try to remain neutral in my attire. I don't want my intentions to be misunderstood by a student or parent that I might run into at the store or in the community. I'm misunderstood in the classroom enough. :D I don't want to add to it.
I have very good friends who wear the t-shirts. I support them and their freedom of speech and feedom to just wear what they like. I have no problem with it. It is just not a part of my chosen fashion. BTW, I love Civil War history. Robert E. Lee was one of the best generals to have ever lived. :cool: :flag:

matthewsman

I'm with Phil and Al on this

All of us on here may understand what it means to southerners and the idea of heritage is nothing new to any of us.There are many less offensive(to most )Christian symbols out there.The "you wear your X and I'll wear mine"mentality has turned what at one time was an innocent symbol,into a veritable "bird"finger to some people.It dissapoints me that those that would display this flag as a symbol of heritage are now painted as rascists but that is the climate today.If your goal is to offend,let's not be ignorant about it,you know how to do it.Put a flag on each bumper,on your back glass and on your antennae,blast your "Hank "and yell YEEEHAW out your window.Just don't think anyone is going to ask you about your heritage,or listen to any rational explanation about St.Andrew after you get their attention.Just as an anchor tattoo on the forearm identifies you as a sailor to most people,even the smallest display of the flag affiliates you in most folks mind with the negative image mentioned above.If it offends your brother to eat meat,don't eat meat.................If you don't care about offending or having a reasonable chance of reaching someone display it proudly. ::huh: Thanks for bringing this question up.I have been in many racially mixed situations at work,church,and neighborhood functions,where the flag was displayed and was embarrassed for those displaying it,and those offended by it.Not one time have I seen it form a new understanding between the two opposing factions.I think anyone that is spiritually minded will eventually see the di ::; vision and ill will it brings.The same heritage we proclaim,is one of whose actions they don't want to be reminded of.............and I understand why,donnie ::; ::; ::; ::; What's wrong with us ALL getting behind one flag? :flag: :flag: :flag:

Jeff Phillips

Ya'll are right!

If it offends ANYONE it should be avoided!

Just remember to say Happy Holidays to everyone this season. Christ is offensive to many and we would not want anyone to be uncomfortable ::huh:

one_shot_no_mor

Jeff Nailed It!!

Jeff Young said:
I think it is disrespectful of the flag to turn it into an article of clothing.

To do so to a US Flag is actually a violation of Federal Code.

I'd certainly have as much respect for St. Andrew's Cross.

Aside from that, I believe there is nothing at all wrong with your daughter expressing her pride in her heritage to others where ever she may be. Those people deserve to hear the truth about Southern Pride and to understand that Southerners are not all a bunch of bigots.

She has a God-given right of freedom of expression that should be only guided by her parents and her God.

What he said... :yeah: :fine: :flag:

GeauxLSU

Jeff Phillips said:
Ya'll are right!
If it offends ANYONE it should be avoided!
Just remember to say Happy Holidays to everyone this season. Christ is offensive to many and we would not want anyone to be uncomfortable ::huh:
Jeff,
I think the issue (for me anyway) is, being Christian calls me to not display what is considered to be an UNCHRISTIAN symbol by many (saying it isn't doesn't change how we know it is perceived). Saying "Merry Christmas" is hardly unChristian and obviously the contrary.
By the way, had a jewish coworker wish me "Happy Hannuakah" the other day. I said "Back at 'cha!" ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

stumpman

Banned
wearing the rebel flag has nothing to do with being a christian if some like it fine if others dont then fine thats what makes us a free country some people dont like the american flag a lot of people have died for and because of the american flag it has nothing to do with christianity i might not like the car or truck yall drive are you not going to drive it when im aroundit might have been made in japan and look what they did to us years ago so you can put anything in a bad light if you like the rebel flag then wear it if not then dont but dont be affraid to or ashamed to wear it anywhere including church if thats the appropriate dress at your church Thats my 2 cents Good day!

sniper13

Dixie Outfitter Shirts

I am a licensed DO dealer. Y'all should go to their website and look @ the new lind of Christian Outfitter shirts. Some of them will really make you think.