Daddy's North Carolina BBQ Chicken

Daddy's NC BBQ Chicken BBQ Chicken
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of vinegar
1 teaspoon of black pepper
Juice of 3 lemons
4 tablespoons of salt (level)
½-1 1/2 (to taste) teaspoon of Tabasco sauce

Cook slow on a charcoal grill for 1 to 1.5 hours basting often until all sauce is gone. ( I usually make more and keep it in a metal bowl close enough to the grill to keep it warm and I dip the chicken pieces in the bowl).
-John Jenkins

LUTER

russian tea

18 cups water
2 green tea bags
2 sleepytime tea bags
2 honey vanilla chamomile tea bags
2 cups sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 large can of pinapple juice
1 large can frozen oj ( i use lots of pulp )

put 12 cups water in large pot and add 4 cinnamon sticks and 2 cups sugar and bring to boil and boil for 4 minutes.

in a seperate pan put 6 cups of water and stew all 6 tea bags for about 2-3 minutes,

when tea is ready, reduce heat on large pot to low and add tea to water and sugar and mix. then add 1/2 large can of pinapple juice and can of frozen oj and mix well.

serve hot, use white lightnin to spice up drink

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
my venison burgers...like we dont have enough in here already:D

1lb venison, 1 egg, 1/4 cup worstershire, 2 heaping tablespoons spicey brown mustard, 2 tablespoons of horseradish (fresh is best), 6 strips of bacon, 1/2 a cup of bread crumbs, 2 tablespoons of texas pete, 1/2 medium chopped well white onion

cook bacon till crispy and crumble
mix all ingredients, add more or less bread crumbs pending consistency of meat. patty out to any size you want

VERY IMPORTANT STEP....put in fridge for hour or so before cooking and then sprinkle some olive oil on just prior to cooking

cook on med-high heat grill until done your way. melt pepperjack or sharp cheddar on top of each patty
Edit/Delete Message

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
feral filet mignon

Trim off all fat and silver skin from backstrap
Cut into steaks about 1.5” thick
Cut bacon just long enough to wrap once around and secure with toothpick.
Place leftover bacon in separate pile.
Sprinkle one side with Cajun shake
Take left over bacon and chop very fine
Pour dry ranch dressing mix over bacon and lots of black pepper. mix till coated well.

Heat a little oil in a skillet and sear both sides of filet
Place seared filet’s on baking sheet
Put a dab of the ranch pepper bacon on top of each filet

place in oven at 350
Bake for 20 minutes then remove and pour drippings off of pan
Place back in oven for 5 more minutes on broil (watch it here you are just crisping the bacon)

heat skillet where you seared the filet, and put a half stick of butter, 2 big spoons of roasted chopped garlic. Some more dry ranch dressing mix. A good splash of lemon juice (probably a half cup or more) and a shot of white wine if you feel like it.
Heat this up and scrape the drippings from the pan around till it thickens a little.
Note : this will be very tart. Don’t spoon it over the meat, just around it to use as a dippin’ sauce.

Put the meat on a plate and spoon the sauce around it. It is real good with mashed taters.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
shrimp and cheese appetizers

We use 60 -80 count shrimp but bigger ones are okay. Just don’t get too big!!!
Melt a stick of butter and a cup of lemon juice in the microwave

Put a teaspoon of the mixture in each hole of a mini muffin tin
Put 2 of the shrimp in the tin (1 if you have bigger ones)
Sprinkle with California style garlic ( a granulated seasoned garlic)
Sprinkle with Cajun shake or lemon pepper old bay seasoning
Put a cube of Monterey jack cheese on top of the shrimp
Put a pinch of shredded parmesan cheese on top if it all
Bake at 350 for 7 minutes
Spoon the shrimp and cheese over your favorite cracker

Sprinkle with hot sauce and enjoy

This recipe originally was used with oysters but I like it better with shrimp.

fulldraw74

RIBS

Baby Back Ribs

originally posted by Hawg

Marinate them in vinager for a hour.
Grill them until there almost done.
Take them off and put them in a Roaster.
Smoother them in BBQ Sauce and put them in the oven. 200 to 250 degrees for a hour an a half.
Check on them every 30 minutes.
They'll make your tongue slap your forehead.

Baby Back Ribs

originally posted by Bruz

4 Slabs of Baby Back Ribs
4 TBL Chili Powder
6 Cloves Garlic
4 TBL Seasoned Salt
2 TBL Black Pepper
1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper
KC Hickory Barbecue Sauce
Honey

1) Remove white membrane from the back side of the ribs
This is very important as this membrane is tough.
2) Rinse the racks of ribs
3) Mix the spices together...making sure to press the garlic
as fine as possible.
4) Rub the ribs with the spice mixture on all sides.
5) Seal the ribs air tight in aluminum foil but leave space
between the ribs and the foil....create an aluminum bag
almost.
6) Place the ribs in a 300 Degree oven for 3 1/2 hours.
7) Remove the ribs and place in a container for the trip to
camp.
8) At camp, get a fire going with hickory chips and coals
and let it burn down....soak some chips in water for
later.
9) Mix in 3 TBL spoons of honey with the KC Hickory sauce.
10) Place the soaked chips on the coals and palce the ribs
on the rack. Brush generously with the sauce on all
sides as you turn frequently to prevent the sugar in
sauce from burning. It only takes about 5 minutes to
fully heat the ribs and get the smoke flavor into the
ribs.

Enjoy.

Baby Back Ribs

originally posted by Huntnnut

Heres a recipe that I use for Baby Back Ribs and I gauruntee you your tongue will want to slap your forehead once you try some of the finished product.

Rinse slabs of ribs first then if you like you can remove the thin layer of membrane and cut into serving sizes of 3 to 4 bones per serving.

Place ribs in pan and cover with a couple cans of beer and/or apple juice. note: Apple juice can always be used in place of beer, they both help break down the meat which tenderizes it. Cover ribs tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 3 hours @ 220 degrees. note: Much longer than that and the meat will be literally falling off the bones and you don't want that at this point. Let the ribs cool or rest for a short period of time.

Once the ribs have rested, salt & pepper to taste and then place them on a grill bone side down and opposite of the charcoals so they do not get direct heat for one (1) hour while basting with a honey based BBQ sauce the last 30 minutes or so and turning frequently once you start applying the sauce.

Note: prior to placing them on the grill, I have smoked them on a smoker for about an hour with the bone side down with apple wood before and to me they are even better, though it is another step and takes longer to prepare that way.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

dutchman

Pork Ribs

Start with a good looking rack or three of Baby Backs. Remove the membrane on the bone side of the rack of ribs. This is easily done with a butter knife, starting at either end of the rack. Once you get the membrane started, it'll peel right off.

Season with your favorite dry rub. I have used Butt Rub, Arthur Bryant's, and Durkee with success. Salt and pepper work wonderfully, also. This is best done the night before you plan to cook to allow the seasoning to work into the meat. A little olive oil on the ribs prior to the application of the seasoning helps the dry rub to adhere to the meat. You only need to season the meat side of each rack of ribs.

The next day, preheat your grill or smoker to 225 degrees. If using a grill, you'll need to start the fire on the opposite end of the grill that you'll be cooking on. Ribs are best cooked with indirect heat. If you're using wood to cook on, fine. You'll have all the smoke flavor you'll need. If you're using charcoal or gas, you'll want a smoker box filled with your favorite wood chunks or chips. Be sure you soak the chips or chunks in water for about 30 minutes before placing them in the box and onto the heat.

Place ribs on the grate. Spray them with apple juice and really get them soaked. The acidity in the apple juice helps to tenderize the meat and it also keep the ribs moist during cooking. I spray them at least every 30 minutes or so.

Cook in this manner for about 3 hours. Then spray the ribs with the apple juice until they're soaked and wrap your racks of ribs in aluminum foil and place them back on the grill or smoker. In 3 hours, they will have taken on as much flavor as the smoke can impart. Wrapping them causes them to cook in their own juice (and the apple juice) and they will come out really moist and tender.

Allow the ribs to cook for about another 2 hours. Remove from heat, open the foil packets carefully and enjoy. Be advised, the foil packets will be filled with juice that is very hot. Be careful as you unwrap the ribs.

Handgunner

Delton's SOS

Brown you up some deer meat and season with onion salt, black pepper, and seasoning salt.

In a seperate small pot, boil you up an onion that's been diced.

Remove ground deer from the pan and in the remaining grease, about 3 tablespoons or so, put some flour in it... and brown the flour. once browned, pour in your water/onion mixture until you have your gravy kinda thin, but not too thin...

Add back in your ground deer, stir, taste, reseason, and then serve over toast or cathead biscuits, or white rice.

Woody's Janitor

Teddy Bear’s Cola Ham

1- Fresh bone- in half a Ham with the skin; 6-8 lbs. (preferably the shank end)

Brine
3 cups kosher salt or 11/2 cups table salt
6 liters Coca Cola
2 heads garlic, cloves separated, lightly crushed and peeled
8-10 Bay leaves
½ cup black peppercorns, crushed
½ cup packed dark or light brown sugar
Rub
Spray with olive oil PAM or rub on ¼ cup Olive oil
fresh ground black pepper
½ cup Parsley leaves from 1 bunch- (optional)
1 cup lightly packed sage leaves from 1 bunch-(optional)
6-9 cloves garlic peeled
1 tablespoon salt
Glaze- 1 cup Original Coke
2 cups packed dark or light sugar.
2 -3 jalapeno peppers cut cross wise into ¼ inch thick slices. (optional)
¼ cup juice from two limes.
Note: *You can inject the ham with some pineapple juice for an awesome taste if you want*
Mix all the ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat until the glaze becomes syrupy reducing to about 1 1/3 cups. About 5-7 minutes. Glaze will thicken as it cools and it will need reheating between basting.
Ham- Slice(score) through the skin and fat making a one inch diamond pattern. Don’t cut into the meat.
Brine- Use a 16 quart stockpot or bucket or a cooler type ice chest. Dissolve the salt and brown sugar in 3 liters of warm cola. Be careful because the salt will cause the cola to foam! Add garlic, bay leaves, crushed pepper, and 3 liters of cola. Submerge the ham into the brine and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Make sure the ham is covered.

Set a large disposable roasting pan on a baking sheet for extra support; place a flat wire rack in the roasting pan. Remove ham from the brine; rinse under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Place ham, wide cut side down, on the rack. *( If using a sirloin end, place ham skin side up.)* Let ham stand uncovered at room temp. for one hour.

Rub-Adjust the oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 500 degrees. If you use the sray Pam, spray the ham and rub on the mixture of the dry rub after it has been food processed. In a food processor with steel blades, process the sage, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and oil until mixture forms a smooth paste, about 30 seconds. Rub the ham all over with this paste.

Roast- roast the ham at 500 degrees for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees and continue to cook while basting it every 45 minutes with the glaze until the center of the ham reaches 145-150 degrees. Around 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Tent ham loosely with foil and let it stand until the center reaches 155-160 degrees. Usually 30-40 minutes. Then carve and pig-out!
Ham
The ham is usually cut into two sections and the sirloin (butt end) is harder to carve. The shank end is the best cut of ham for this recipe. You can brine the ham in an insulated cooler if you wrap it good with a trash bag and keep it cool with ice draining the excess water frequently. You have to keep a close watch on this method!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
elfiii's Chicken Fried Venison Steaks

1 lb ground venison
1 small onion
1 "tube" of Ritz Crackers
1 egg
1/2 cup 1/2 & 1/2
Lawry's seasoned salt
2 tbsp Canola Oil

Dice onion finely and fold into venison along with 1 tbsp of Lawry's. Form into 4 steaks.

Crush Ritz crackers until they are back to "flour" status.

Lightly beat egg and 1/2 & 1/2 until blended.

Dredge steaks in egg/1/2&1/2 and then through crushed Ritz crackers to bread.

In a hot frying pan, add oil and brown steaks.

Handgunner

Chicken Pasta Salad

12oz Box of Angel Hair Pasta -- Cooked and drained.
1 small to medium cucumber - peeled and cubed.
1/2 small onion diced finely
1 small tomato. Deseeded and diced finely.
1/2 small bell pepper, finely diced.
1 8oz pack of pre-grilled chicken breast meat - Or bake your own. Warmed and cut into small peices.
1 16oz bottle of Zesty Italian Dressing.
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Combine all ingredients and serve cold.

SmokyMtnSmoke

Pan Fried Steaks

Here's how I do it...

The Ove Glove or other suitable kitchen oven mit IS required!

I have a square griddled cast iron pan. I've seen them at our Cracker Barrel
lodge-square-grill-pan.jpg

Preheat oven and pan to 500 deg. While preheating prep steaks as below.

Dry the steak on paper towels, lightly coat with olive oil this helps the seasonings stick, apply your favorite steak seasoning/rub such as Montreal,etc.

With oven mit remove preheated pan. Place steaks in pan and place back in oven for approxomatly 2 min. Remove pan, turn steaks, place back in oven for approxamatly 2 more minutes.

Have a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil ready that can wrap both steaks.

Remove pan from oven, place steaks in foil, wrap tightly and place on top of stove or some warm spot to let them 'sweat'.

Prepair your table setting and other sides, this will give the steaks a few minutes to sweat the juices. Once the table is ready carefully open aluminum foil so as not to spill the juice and serve the steaks.

Depending on the type of steak (my wife and I prefer NY Strip) and thickness the steaks will be around medium to medium well. A thick steak will have some pink inside. And the sweating lets the seared steak marinate in their own juices making for a very tender meat. Cooking times will need to be adjusted to your taste and liking.

Be aware that this process can create quite a bit of smoke so be prepaired to open a windows or better yet do it outside in the grill still using the cast iron pan.

Enjoy!

SnowHunter

Nic's Apple Butter

5lbs Red Delicious Apples; peeled, cored and sliced
3c Water
3c Sugar
3c Firmy packed brown sugar
1 1.75oz package powdered pectin
1T Ground Cinnamon
1T Ground Allspice
1/4 t Ground Cloves
1/4t Ground Nutmeg
1/4t Ground Mace

Keep the spices on hand as well.

Combine Apples and Water in a large stock pot;bring to a boil. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the apples are tender. Mash until smooth or chunky depending on your likes. Stir in sugars and spices and simmer for 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on the mixture, stiring frequently so it doesn't burn. Taste test the mixture. Add spices to get mixture to your tastebuds desire. I usually add another 1/4t of every spice used. After 20 minutes, stir in pectin and bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Pour mixture into hot sterilized jars leaving about 1/4" space at the top. Wipe jar rims and place lids on and screw the metal bands down till fingertip tight. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

This recipe gets rave reviews with the family, and everyone requested gallon jugs of it last year!!
Yall ENJOY!!

polaris30144

How to cook a goose.

One goose cleaned.
3-4 apples cut in quarters
3-4 slices of dry bread crumbs
1 tablespoon crushed garlic
salt and pepper
one onion chopped
4-5 strips of bacon
1 stick of butter
1 1" pine plank large enough to hold goose

Stuff goose with apples, garlic, onions, bread crumbs and butter mixture.

put strips of bacon over top of goose using tooth picks to hold in place.

pre heat oven to 450 degrees

put goose on plank, place in oven.

bake at 450 uncovered for 4-5 hours, checking occasionally.

after 4-5 hours take goose from oven, remove stuffing

throw goose and stuffing away

EAT PINE PLANK........has better taste than any goose.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
well, i thought i was tapped out , but i tried sumpthin' new this week that i learned from a fellow camper.

when you get that real good marshmallow roastin' coal bed in your campfire, try this.

take small green stick 'bout the size of a finger in width and long enough to not burn your hands!!! trim the bark off it. (i used young gum trees and they worked great.)
take a tube of croissant (sp) roll dough and open it.

roll an individual piece of dough around the green barkless part of the stick till it forms a "sleeve" around it.

roast over coals till browned --
slide off of the stick and fill with jelly or honey butter!!!

this hot fresh bread around a campfire will really satisfy!!!

fulldraw74

Orginally posted by Nicodemus

Here`s how I do all my wild turkey breasts. The recipe is from my Dear Grandmother.

Wash turkey breasts well.
Cut into fryin` size pieces.
Pound pieces with cubin` hammer. (She used a 6 oz. coke bottle)
Salt and pepper to taste.
Dredge in flour.
Fry until golden brown.
Drain well on paper towels.

DO NOT OVERCOOK!

I have experimented with various spices before, doin` this, but I have gone back to this simple recipe from here on out. As she told me years ago, the flavor of a wild turkey stands on its own, with only a little salt and pepper

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta

peel 1.5 lbs of small shrimp ---40 - 60 count size.
place peels in a pot with garlic cloves, onion , lemon juice ,white wine, cajun shake and lemon pepper.

bring this to a boil, you are shooting to have about 2 cups worth of juice.

sprinkle garlic powder and lemon herb seasoning over shrimp and saute' in a little olive oil till almost done.

strain shell juice into pan with shrimp and simmer.

add angel hair pasta (cooked) to skillet and stir well.

top with shredded parmesan cheese or mozzarella or both!!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Succatash - my version

1 quart of lima or butterbeans
1 quart of corn-cut from the cob
5 or 6 pieces of thick sliced bacon-cut in chunks
1 large onion-cut up
dab of grease or cookin` oil

In a fairly large pot, fry bacon and onion in oil till onion is clear.
Add beans and corn, add water till everything is covered.
Bring to boil, then cut back heat and simmer for an hour or two.
A few minutes before takin` off the fire, add a big gob of real butter to the pot.

This stuff is good.

fulldraw74

GRILLED ASPARAGUS

1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
Olive oil
Soy sauce
Lemon pepper seasoning

Let your grill get hot. Lightly coat the asparagus spears with olive oil and soy sauce. Season with Lemon pepper to taste. Grill over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or to desired tenderness.

fulldraw74

Cinnamon Grilled Bananas

5 bananas peeled, cut in half and then cut in half again length wise.
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
Vanilla Ice Cream

(both cinnamon and brown sugar can be adjusted to your taste)

Place cinnamon and brown sugar in a quart sized ziploc bag and mix thoroughly. Add banana peices and coat thoroughly with mixture. Remove banana peices and place on a hot grill for approx 3 mins. per side. Remove and place banana peices on top of a bowl of vanilla ice cream.....Mmmmmmm...