Recommendation for Youth Crossbow??

HuntinDawg89

I've never been a crossbow guy. I always shot a compound. Then I quit shooting deer when my girls started shooting them about 5 years ago. I'm thinking about getting a crossbow for my daughters to share. Oldest is 14 (about 5'2") and youngest is 11 (about 4'10"). They are both deadly with a rifle and I have a special situation this Fall that dictates that archery season may be our best chance to hunt so that's why I'm asking. I'd love to hear about youth size crossbows that you can personally recommend or personally recommend that I stay away from. Would rather not break the bank either.

Thanks!

shootemall

I had researched a Barnett last year (I forget which model), but when I went to Cabela's to buy it, there was a Crossman ready to hunt package for about $300. It is light, and cheap enough that if the kids like it enough to want to upgrade in a few years I won't have issues buying a nicer one. They let my kids shoot them on their range first too.

shdw633

I like the Barnett Recruit. Light, I think they are easier to get loaded, but still packs a punch and you can usually find them for a good deal on the Internet.

transfixer

Centerpoint Sniper, they've updated it for this year, changed the handgrip I believe, whole package less than $300, best price can be found on the internet, smaller than a lot of crossbows out there, lighter than most, faster than a good many also. The reviews speak for themselves

also has an AR15 style buttstock, adjustable, which might come in handy for short arms.

Kaisrus6

I bought a PSE Fang LT last year for my dad but it will be a great bow for kids as well. Its light and compact and shoots very well. I will be starting my granddaughter in a year or two if she shows interest. It was about $300 if I remember correctly.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Centerpoint Sniper, they've updated it for this year, changed the handgrip I believe, whole package less than $300, best price can be found on the internet, smaller than a lot of crossbows out there, lighter than most, faster than a good many also. The reviews speak for themselves

also has an AR15 style buttstock, adjustable, which might come in handy for short arms.
I purchased one of these last season and was very happy with it , and my 14yr old daughter can drive tacks with it !

hortonhunter22

I bought a crossbow last year and the local shop had the PSE Fang, after looking at what he had in stock I went with the youth model, it was a little more compact, cheaper and my boys could use it( there 7 & 8) and after I sighted it in they wanted to try, they were hitting bulleyes consistently at 20 yards. I killed a 10 pt with it later in the season and its a great crossbow around $300 out the door

southerndraw

Bought the ole lady the fang and she was blowin bolts through deer in Kentucky, nice little bow.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
I personally have a Parker Blackhawk. It's not a "Youth" bow, They don't make one that I know of but my son has been shooting it since he as 10 and probably not much larger than your girls. Good thing about the Parkers are they are 100% American Made with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. Went looking at Centerpoint and PSE and neither site lists ANY warranty info. Crosman has warranty info for their air rifles but nothing for Centerpoint crossbows that I could find.

My son is large enough now that he can probably shoot it "offhand" but as shooting it at 10 with the aid of a shooting stick or rail.

You'll pay more for the Parker but for 100% American Made and a Lifetime Warranty I think it's worth it.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Just looked at Stryker Crossbows also as a friend at work told me he had one. (I'd never heard of them) They are made by Bowtech and also have a Lifetime Warranty WHEN purchased through a Licensed Retailer. Couldn't find any pricin info though

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

Wayne D Davis

I shoot the Recruit myself. Very light and I can quickly cock it by hand for a second bolt if needed....2 years ago when I purchased it for 160 bucks I pulled out 5 does at various wma's thru out the season....last season 3 deer. Im using it again this year

dawg

Not the cheapest but goy my son a Mission crossbow from outdoor depot in Gainesville (Judge, patrick and Stymie run a great shop)

Not the cheapest but he was 11 when we got it with a cocking device and he is deadly at 40yards. He is now 13! Great crossbow by Mathews sister company.