Reel

toolmkr20

Can you use just a regular style closed face reel and make a bracket for it to screw into your riser on your bow.

Michael

No, you want a bigger reel like the Muzzy Brute or the zebco 808. You also don't want to skimp on the reel seat. It take a lot of abuse.

sleeze

No, you want a bigger reel like the Muzzy Brute or the zebco 808. You also don't want to skimp on the reel seat. It take a lot of abuse.

Agreed,,,,,,,,do not get a cheap reel seat. I used the cheapest one Cajun sells when i first started, They are not worth buying at all.

I had to get a Muzzy reel seat as soon as i had a chance. They work great, and also the Cajun Tournament reel seats are good too.

toolmkr20

How about the AMS reel set. I see them on ebay for pretty decent price. It comes with the jug and florescent green line.

sleeze

How about the AMS reel set. I see them on ebay for pretty decent price. It comes with the jug and florescent green line.

Those work good and lasts forever. You dont have to worry about hitting a button like you would on a reel. They mount right up to the bow , so you do not need a reel seat.

We have a AMS retriever like what you are talking about mounted to one bow. And a Muzzy reel with a Muzzy reel seat on another.

wack em

AMS retriever is the only way to go IMO

GAX

Yep...AMS Pro Retriever. It is more adjustable, than the regular AMS Retriever.

OconeeDan

You CAN make a bracket and use any closed face spinning reel. Make it beefy and make sure you use bowfishing line that is braided.
BUT, the AMS reel is much better, in my opinion, and you don't have to remember to mash the button.
Dan

RIVER_CAT

I prefer the spinner style reels over the bottle. Love the Synergy reels! :D

Also you may wanna check out www.BackwaterBowfishing.com for some gear. Bryan has all the stuff you need and some great prices also.

GAX

Which is better and why. The zebco 808 or the ams .

Spinning reel- You have to remember to hit the release button, everytime you shoot... You'l get used to it, after a while.
Retriever-no button, just shoot

Spinning reel- 200# max spectra line
Retriever- up to 600#, so far, with upgradable kit... 400# with no kit.

Spinning reel- Faster retrieves
Retriever- a little slower 1:1

I have used both, and although the Spinning reel is OK, for GA Fish... I prefer the retriever.

You will get a lot of arguments on this, It's just a preference...