Reflex or Red dot ?

Hillbilly stalker

I’ve always just used a bead on a shotgun and never had any problems killing birds. Caught a wild hare today and bought a Steven’s 301 .410. Im gonna run tss loads thru it and figured if their tight as folks say I better get a sight. Are there advantages vs. disadvantages between the 2 or mostly personal preferences? I don’t mind buying one but I ain’t fixen to throw a wad of money on a top notch one. A regular scope is not gonna be an option. Thanks in advance. I see a lot of guys running a Bushnell ts25.

chrislibby88

Whatever you get, make sure it is a fully sealed one. A lot of the cheaper reflex sights with a single lens have an open projector that dirt and debris can fall into and block, then your dot/reticle is gone. The sealed ones have two lenses.

Also, battery life. There’s a lot of affordable options with long battery life these days, so take your pick.

Last edited:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Reflex and yes green setting is way better especially in a river bottom or dark environment. Seems like the red to me gives off to much glare and messes with my vision. Green is a little mellower and forgiving

Dupree

I hunted one year with a red dot and hated it. If you’ve never used one find a buddy who has one and try it out in different light conditions first.

I have a swamp fox kingslayer on one of my kids’ guns. It has a green circle reticle and I prefer is over a red dot.

Liberty

Reflex for “tactical” situations on a long gun, including something like being chased by a mad pig on the run, because the sight is easier to “pick up” along with having a more forgiving eye box both vertically and horizontally. The reticle also moves within the larger lens providing accurate enough shooting with sub-optimal alignment to the long gun, including a less than desirable cheek weld. Generally, a quality reflex is more expensive than a quality dot. A shake awake feature is also a nice option, because the battery isn’t draining while the unit is not in use. For shooting turkeys and other non-dangerous species use whatever fits in your budget. I recommend dots with solar back-ups that don’t require removing the unit to change batteries, avoiding re-zeroing. A pistol red dot is great on a pistol. Once you get use to “picking up” the dot at extension. I don’t post my resume on the internet, but this is something that I know a whole bunch about.

chrislibby88

Reflex for “tactical” situations on a long gun, including something like being chased by a mad pig on the run, because the sight is easier to “pick up” along with having a more forgiving eye box both vertically and horizontally. The reticle also moves within the larger lens providing accurate enough shooting with sub-optimal alignment to the long gun, including a less than desirable cheek weld. Generally, a quality reflex is more expensive than a quality dot. A shake awake feature is also a nice option, because the battery isn’t draining while the unit is not in use. For shooting turkeys and other non-dangerous species use whatever fits in your budget. I recommend dots with solar back-ups that don’t require removing the unit to change batteries, avoiding re-zeroing. A pistol red dot is great on a pistol. Once you get use to “picking up” the dot at extension. I don’t post my resume on the internet, but this is something that I know a whole bunch about.
Good point on the battery accessibility. Some sights are designed in such a way that you have to remove the entire sight from the gun to change the battery. These are a no-go on a turkey gun. For me at least.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
The Burris Fast Fire III is still available at a reduced price compared with the IV. The unit doesn't have to be removed to replace the battery which has a long life, lasting for several seasons. It will shut down after 8 hours of use. It has a lifetime warranty. It is offered in 3 or 8 MOA with no parallax issues meaning dot doesn't have to be centered in the lens for shotgun accuracy. I have used both and both are fine for turkeys. It comes with a lifetime warranty and no proof of purchase is required. Compare prices on ebay. Gil

Long Cut

I put a TruGlo Gobble Stopper on my Stevens 301T in 20G that has sustained 2 seasons of my abuse. I can toggle between Red and Green along with various powers for low light or mid day conditions.

I doubt it will withstand the abuse that a Trijicon can take but for the price, I’d give them an honest look.